Splayed leg? Vitamin deficiency? Not sure what's wrong.

Thank you! I'll update in a few days to let you all know how this goes.
I put rooster booster in the water as well as probiotics (just for good measure). I am also fermenting their feed to insure they absorb as many nutrients as possible.

Quick update on chick: I've given vitamin water and some direct B12 liquid vitamin to it. It is standing and able to catch up to the chicks and mom. Eating and drinking fine but the leg is still twisted and turned inward. Will update again in a day or two.

Leg bone deformities, such as varus valgus deformity, or twisted legs can be common. Most are usually not treated successfully, but some chicks can get along well enough to lives decent life. But if it is a riboflavin deficiency, they may show improvement withing days of treatment. Here is some reading:
https://thepoultrysite.com/articles/leg-health-in-large-broilers

https://www.researchgate.net/public..._of_the_Intertarsal_Joint_in_Broiler_Chickens
I have looked into this and it states you will mainly see this in broiler birds. These chicks are lavender orpington. Will this still be seen in this type of bird?

@Eggcessive Would be able to answer that question but thinking maybe with Orps too, they are big girls, hang in there Eggcessive will reply ... Where are you located? You may want to update your profile with you location, time zone differences is good to know although there's alot of night owls on this site :caf

Quick update on chick: I've given vitamin water and some direct B12 liquid vitamin to it. It is standing and able to catch up to the chicks and mom. Eating and drinking fine but the leg is still twisted and turned inward. Will update again in a day or two.
You need vitamin B complex or something with riboflavin (B2,) not B12. Leg bone deformities are more common in meat birds and turkeys, but are also common in laying chickens.

@Eggcessive Would be able to answer that question but thinking maybe with Orps too, they are big girls, hang in there Eggcessive will reply ... Where are you located? You may want to update your profile with you location, time zone differences is good to know although there's alot of night owls on this site :caf
Oh I guess I do need to update that! I'm located in Kentucky

You need vitamin B complex or something with riboflavin (B2,) not B12. Leg bone deformities are more common in meat birds and turkeys, but are also common in laying chickens.

Thank you! I got some and have been putting it in their water.

Update on him: He is limping a little but his foot is no longer twisted now. I'm not sure if it's a vitamin deficiency or not but starting to think it could be an injury related to when he hatched. However, I see improvement in the leg everyday. Happy that the little one has a chance at a normal, healthy life.

Hi There;
I am going to jump in on this thread. I am looking for some help too. I just brought home a crippled chick from work last night. I work in a farm store and this chick evidently came in gimpy. They put it in their hospital area where it was safe. It is fully feathered so maybe it's about 3 weeks old maybe a little more. It's little legs are twisted really bad. Can't stand but scoots it's self around to eat and drink. The legs do move. At this age is there any help? Should I try the B Complex? How much do I give? Is B Complex a liquid or capsule?
Thanks
Cindy

Back
Top Bottom