Splayed leg? Vitamin deficiency? Not sure what's wrong.

smoore7489

Songster
6 Years
Mar 25, 2017
My Lavender Orpington hen recently hatched out her second set of chicks today. When I lifted her up to see how everything was progressing I saw this one upside down under her. I flipped the baby over and noticed its feet didnt look normal to me. So I waited a few hours, went back and it was a bit better but not what I had hoped for. Came back tonight and still having trouble using one of its legs. Its not really walking, but more like scooting around. I noticed its toes are curled underneath it as well. What should I do to help the little one? I attached some pictures to better clarify the situation. (This chick is only about 12 hrs old at this point)
20190808_224843.jpg
20190808_224752.jpg
20190808_224900.jpg

Attachments

• 20190808_225007.jpg
    20190808_225007.jpg
    265.9 KB · Views: 13
Think I see what you're saying in the first pic...Could you take a picture of it's feet/toes? Is it only one side? It's possible the way it developed in the egg, or vitamin deficiency (Riboflavin ). You could give it some Nutri Drench, put some "sandals" on ... Made with Vet Wrap of the adhesive part of a band aid (careful cause some stick to much).

DSC03612.JPG

Quick update on chick: I've given vitamin water and some direct B12 liquid vitamin to it. It is standing and able to catch up to the chicks and mom. Eating and drinking fine but the leg is still twisted and turned inward. Will update again in a day or two.
You need vitamin B complex or something with riboflavin (B2,) not B12. Leg bone deformities are more common in meat birds and turkeys, but are also common in laying chickens.

It would be good to see the feet and legs in pictures, possibly with you holding her up. A leg bone deformity or a slipped tendon might be possible. Start some chick vitamins in the water, and make sure they contain riboflavin or B2.

The right leg looks slightly bowed at the hock joint and turned inward. In one pic, the other leg looks somewhat that way. Hard to tell. Curled under toes can be a sign of vitamin B2 riboflavin deficiency. Do you have some chick vitamins that have riboflavin listed on the label. NutriDrench does not. Human vitamin B complex tablets can be grated or crushed over some food or put into the water. 1/4 tablet daily is plenty.

@Eggcessive Would be able to answer that question but thinking maybe with Orps too, they are big girls, hang in there Eggcessive will reply ... Where are you located? You may want to update your profile with you location, time zone differences is good to know although there's alot of night owls on this site :caf
Oh I guess I do need to update that! I'm located in Kentucky

You need vitamin B complex or something with riboflavin (B2,) not B12. Leg bone deformities are more common in meat birds and turkeys, but are also common in laying chickens.

Thank you! I got some and have been putting it in their water.

Update on him: He is limping a little but his foot is no longer twisted now. I'm not sure if it's a vitamin deficiency or not but starting to think it could be an injury related to when he hatched. However, I see improvement in the leg everyday. Happy that the little one has a chance at a normal, healthy life.

Back
Top Bottom