Splayed or Leg Problems (Splits)

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by anthonyjames, May 20, 2012.

1. anthonyjames

anthonyjames Songster

Apr 22, 2009
    Port Washington, WI
    So I have never had problems with legs before and it seems this year out of 200 birds over a 1/3rd of them I have had to cull because of leg issues. What is the cause of splayed or when their legs go out from side to side and they don't recover?

I have been starting them same as always?

In a 8 x8 brooder with 2 lamps to spread them out.
    Paper towels on floor for first 3/4 days
    Then on pine. And it seems that within a week the issue starts happening. Any help would be great as I don't like losing money.

Thanks

2. what did I do

what did I do Songster

Apr 10, 2012
    Montana
    At what age did the problems start? A week to when?

I think it is a nutrition problem either from the hatchery or at home. I think I'd give the hatchery a call to let them know what happened. I wouldn't expect any kind of compensation but just inform them.

How were the chicks when you got them? Stressed or ok?

What kind of feed are you feeding?

3. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Crowing

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I don't know what is causing your leg problems, but I always give my Cornish Cross a niacin supplement. It is necessary for ducks because they drink a lot, grow fast, and poultry feed doesn't contain enough niacin for ducks. They will go down in the legs if they don't get enough niacin.

Well, those Cornish Cross drink a lot and they grow fast. They go down in the legs. So, I give them niacin just like I give it to the ducks.

an 8X8 brooder for 200 birds sounds like they don't have room to exercise.

I am doing 50 birds right now. I had them in 2 brooders and the chicks from the less crowded brooder have been noticeably stronger and livelier. They move better and explore more. After everyone got moved outside, 2 weeks later, the less crowded chicks are still livelier and still move better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: