One of our australorp chicks started showing curled toes within her first week. My husband and I immediately started looking on BYC for advice. We tried the cardboard/bandaid shoes, but they only stayed on one night. She also looked awkward and uncomfortable trying to walk. The pipecleaners seemed like a good concept, but difficult to secure and maintain cleanliness. I work in the medical field and felt driven to make a better splint. Using 10 gauge wire and masking tape we fashioned splints that provided stability for the toes, full movement of the ankle and balanced maneuverability for the chick. She was even able to roost with the splints on! We rewrapped the splints every two to three days to accommodate growth. After one week of treatment her feet look great. After treatment.