Splinted a broken leg - how long do I leave it splinted?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hlyndes, Sep 20, 2008.

1. hlyndes

hlyndes Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2008
    H-Town Texas
    I have a teenager that has a broken leg. We splinted it using popsicle stick and medical tape - my son really enjoyed eating the popsicle! After a couple of days, the checken really started getting around better. It didn't have very much of my attention, as we were affected by the hurricane, but I have been checking in on it and it is getting around. Definate improved mobility with the splint. My question is: How long should I leave it splinted?

Thanks! Heather

2. chickenlady

chickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2007
    Stillwater, NJ
    I dont know for sure. I guess it would depend on how broken and where it is broken. I would recommend leaving it on for 2-3 weeks minimum if the chicken is getting around with no problem. The longer the better. I would recommend also giving some kind of vitamins, whether you use avia charge2000 in the water or poly vi sol infant vitamins. I would definately do one or the other. Best of luck. I wish I had a definate answer for you but I am not a vet.

3. dlhunicorn

dlhunicorn Human Encyclopedia

Jan 11, 2007
    at least three weeks (then depending on the healing) you might change to a softer support for two or three more weeks... keep him separated and movement limited tho for the first three weeks.

4. hlyndes

hlyndes Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2008
    H-Town Texas
    Thank you both!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by