Split earlobe- please help

cmlew99

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 5, 2014
Massachusetts
I just added two birds to my flock, so there has been some fighting. One of my hens (original hens) I noticed has a split earlobe, with a lot of blood on it. I am completely new, and have no idea what to do, or how to help. Please help me! I'm so scared! Should I separate her? Put her in a dog crate in the basement or something?

Go ahead and separate her. She should heal just fine with a cleaning with water and maybe putting on some Neosporin ointment. You could even put her in the dog crate within the coop or chicken run as long as the other hens can't peck her. Chickens are quite tempted to peck red blood, so separating makes sense. But if you can fit a crate or pet carrier in the coop then she may have an easier time reintegrating into the flock once she is well scabbed over.

Chickens heal really well from injuries like this, so you don't have to worry much.

Okay. I think our coop is a little to small to do the carrier thing though. She might just have to hang out in the basement for the night. How long should she be separated for?

Keep her separated until her wound is no longer red. Hopefully once she has a scab, the other chickens wont be attracted to pecking the wound. There is a product called Blu Kote sold at farm stores that is an antiseptic that also camouflages the wound, that is good to have on hand. Maybe you can have her hang out in the pet carrier during part of the day near the flock. Try to supervise her reintroduction to the flock to check that they are not tempted to peck her wound.

Last edited:
Okay. I might try that. I just want to thank you for answering my questions so promptly. You really helped! Right now she is cozy in some pine shavings with food and water. My wonderful neighbor who happens to be a farmer just applied some Blue Kote to her face. Thanks a bunch! One more question. She is 23 weeks old, and hasn't laid any eggs so far. Will this injury affect her egg laying at all?

It probably won't really affect her laying. She may be a bit stressed out which could lead to a little delay. Some breeds just take a longer to start laying. Is she a Buff Brahma? My brahma took a little longer to start laying than some of the other breeds.

It's nothing to worry about.Wipe it off and let them continue their "dominanting"things,if you want.

Back
Top Bottom