Split Tail? Do you know? PLEASE HELP?

mischke

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 15, 2013
Loudon New Hampshire
Does this cockerel have what is termed split tail? He is about 10 weeks old and I think a Silver Cuckoo Maran ( probably not pure or show quality) I didn't really notice this until a few days ago. He doesn't hold his tail upright like the other cockerels. He also is not aggressive either, is it possible it is a pullet? I am thinking not cuz his sister the darker one doesn't have the comb and wattle size/color. Is this an injury, defect or nothing? Is there any cure or therapy? Thank You.

Last edited:
Also wanted to add that he doesn't seem sick. Thanks for any info or thoughts you may have
smile.png

And not sure if this means anything but the other cockerels his age are quite aggressive always squaring off, no crowing yet but I expect it any day. Is it possible he is trying to act girly or is the bottom guy and therefore doesn't strut his stuff like the others. I doubt any of that since his tail is even lower than all the girls. HELP?????
idunno.gif

Doesn't look like split tail to me, just a young bird who hasn't grown all his feathers yet. I would imagine as he is holding his tail low, he is probably the bottom of the bunch of cockerels and doesn't want to draw attention to himself so he is adopting a submissive pose. :)

Well he was culled about a month ago, and there seemed to be something wrong with it like maybe it was broken at some point and healed. He never seemed like he was in pain though. Thanks for posting. I had defiantly considered the same thing too. I wish I had taken a pic of what it looked like plucked.

Back
Top Bottom