Spoiled by duck eggs

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by TLWR, Nov 20, 2011.

1. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    Cadbury started molting a while ago (September maybe). And stopped laying eggs. And stopped molting.
    And I've not seen any of her eggs again yet.
    Ally started molting last month. Stopped laying for a day or two, and started laying again. Though not often in the duck house. Molting stopped.

Last weekend I found an egg under a shrub that was laid a few days earlier. So I snagged it, wrote on it, and stuffed it in the duck house. Now she seems to be laying eggs in the duck house again most of the time.

So, with all this molting and non laying duck and laying who knows where, we've not had lots of eggs. We were out for a few days until I did the real egg trick. Then I used all those eggs to send something to work with DH.

Yesterday, we got free eggs at Publix with our cheese purchase.
    We had no duck eggs, so we used the free puny chicken eggs for breakfast this morning.

I was eating mine and looked at DH and asked where the flavor went?
    He was thinking the same thing.
    We missed our duck eggs!

2. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Quote:Do worry! Your not the only one! My ancona hen molted a while ago and stoped lqying, so did my rouen hen. But the ancona started again and lays 4 or 5 eggs a week (give or take) I cant wait till spring when my 4 teenage ducks start laying. I have three welsh harlequin hens, and one rouen hen. Then I will be getting tons. Lol! I also refuse to eat eggs that are not laid on our farm. I would rather eat duck eggs over chicken eggs though.

Edit for typo...

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  3. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    I've started mixing one duck egg to 2 chicken eggs, to me they taste even better! They're great alone, from the chickens or the ducks, but for some reason I'm liking them better mixed, omelet form, filled with cheese, and a little basil and garlic salt. Yum!

4. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    I have tried to enjoy the duck eggs but they taste so earthy. I am sure its from them being on the pond. I was thinking about keeping some in a LG kennel for next year and trying their eggs....any suggestions??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by