Spoiled House Rooster

You are walking on thin ice with this bird. They show dominance to other roosters by fighting them. He is already exhibiting dominance to your husband. Very unsafe for children to be around. They can peck an eye so fast, you won't see it coming. It's only cute until someone gets hurt. A much nicer pet would be a sweet little hen of some sort. You don't need a rooster unless you want babies.

I beg to differ l think roosters can be great pet l had a barred rock rooster that someone duped on me he was the meanest rooster that l have ever non , and that's a lot coming from me but l kept that spay bottle with me and with in a week have was sweeter than a dog. I have us this trick on over 13 roosters and it has worked ion every one of them, l breed chickens so my roosters can not be mean so if l can't brake the habit in less than three weeks than they go by by l have never had to do that
THERE IS ALWAYS HOPE

I have a bantam who is also inside. He is very friendly and hasn't changed. He takes care of his little ladies and of his bunny friend. Good luck to you and your family.

Update to the spoiled house rooster. I've been working with our little rooster, Chickadee for a few months now and I'm very pleased to report that he is greatly improved! After learning about Rooster behavior from all of you I've been able to greatly modify our little roosters bad manners towards my husband and strangers.

Because he was hand raised without any other chickens he imprinted to the point that he thinks all members of the family are his flock (this included myself, my children and our dogs). For some reason he had decided that shoes were the sexiest things in the world and would always hump any shoes he came across. If he got into the house (he is convinced he belongs inside) he would run to the closest shoe rack and go to town. Once I learned that a subordinate rooster would never mate with any hens in the presence of a dominant rooster, I decided this is where I should start. I laid out a bunch of shoes and corrected him for trying to hump them. I would poke him the is side and then chase him. I tried a squirt bottle but he didn't seem to care much about the water. He HATED being poked in the side! Now he will not try and mate with anything if I am anywhere he can see me. Just fixing this problem had a great trickle down effect. He no longer tried to drop his wing at me or the kids, and he didn't jump up at my husband nearly as much.

Because he is still a young rooster (I'm guessing he is about 8 months old) he still has occasional hormone surges and forgets himself around my husband or strangers. What fixed this problem was a leather bracelet for his leg and a length of parachute cord. Every morning when I put him outside (he sleeps in a cage in the house) I put on his line. So far (its been 3 weeks) has hasn't ever gotten it hung up on anything, but we never leave him outside when we are not around. If he gets to big for his britches all anyone has to do is pick up the end of the line and dangle him by a leg for a moment. He quickly decides it isn't worth it. Before the line I was chasing him any time he got cocky (like a dominant rooster would) but it was making him jumpy and flighty around me and that isn't really what I want. I enjoy him as a pet, and I like to train him to do silly fun things like run his agility course and play the piano. If he feels like he always has to run away from me, it takes a lot out of our relationship.

Through all of this I have to say he has never for a moment shown an ounce of aggression towards my kids (that would have been a deal breaker). Fortunately he is a very manageable size (about 2 pounds). I have dremeled his spurs since they started to develop, so he only has buttons. I also dremel his beak and nails once a week. I am aware that he could peck an eye if he chose to, but so far he has never pecked at anyone while he was being held.

I've been increadibly pleased at how much Chickadee has responded to the training and has quickly become the sweet pet again that we enjoyed when he was prepubecent. I'm sure we will have some more challenges in the spring, but I'm really glad we didn't give up on our spoiled house rooster! Yesterday my daughter scooped him up and lay down on the couch to watch tv with him, and he very quickly fell fast asleep in her lap. They really do have a very special relationship!

That's great news - thanks for the update!!
wee.gif

I see this is pretty old, but wanted to chime in a bit. We have an Orpington rooster who this post vaguely reminded me of. At about 6 months, he started doing his dance at my fiance and I. We pinned him and ruffled his tail feathers. This happened a few times, but never went past that. He pecked my ring once, and likes to fuss with my hair, but is otherwise ridiculously calm. Now, at a year old, he's essentially an angel in bird skin. Super gentlemanly with his girls, but so gentle with us that he'll happily nap on my lap and eat out of my hand. We've let him keep his spurs, since he's part of a flock in an area with lots of predators. Earlier this week, he fought off a raccoon, which tore off a chunk of his comb. Even injured and hyped up from a fight, he allowed himself to be picked up with no fuss, carried inside, washed off, dried, and cuddled all evening. Even putting a sock diaper on him for the first time, he didn't fight. This bird is even gentle taking food from our hands. That being said, I essentially harassed this guy from 4 days old (we knew he was male from the get go...his comb was already noticeably bigger at that age). Got him used to being handled and fussed with. Some roosters, like any animal, have better temperaments than others (I treated the other 4 males we got the same way, but they were monsters and got put in soup).

Actually, now that I think about it, he doesn't even get upset if we pick up one of his girls an they squawk and flap. He runs over to rescue them, but as soon as he sees us, he stops and goes about his business, perfectly relaxed.

Needless to say, I'm definitely letting some chicks fathered by him hatch lol.

Back
Top Bottom