1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Spoiled

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by smoothmule, Apr 24, 2008.

1. smoothmule

smoothmule Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    Buffalo, Missouri
    All my chickens and guineas come running when I drive in the drive now from all over. I think they must recognize my car (VW New Beetle) since they don't "chase" other vehicles. [​IMG]
    They are worse than the dogs about gathering up at the door when I get out now and I don't even feed them at this time so I'm a bit puzzled why they do this. The dogs run to greet me when I arrive home so maybe they are following the dogs lead? The guineas (and now the hens) have always run to the back porch when I feed the dogs so they can eat the dogs food too so that's the only rationale I have for this weird behavior. They may be scattered over most of the 40 acres here but you would think I had yelled fire the way they run for me when I arrive home from work.

A couple of mine, a small game hen and young game rooster, won't even eat with the others when I throw down some corn. They find the nearest place to fly up on that's about eye level and wait for me to come hand feed them. I can pet them both and they follow me away from the feed if I don't feed them. They will eat on their own fine if I'm not there but I think they like not having to compete with the others, especially the young rooster. The old rooster runs him off a lot and I think that's what got this started with him. He even knows his name now (Roger) and comes running across the back yard when I call his name.

Good thing we live out in the country or the neighbors would talk.......................[​IMG]

2. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    That's sweet, although probably a bit annoying when you're trying to bring in groceries or whatever.

My chickens recognise my truck when I pull into the driveway, too. It's a good thing for me, as I worry about leaving them out when I'm gone. So, when I get home, I know they're okay, because they all come to greet me. Most of the time. [​IMG]

3. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Mine only get to free-range when we're home. So they start dancing at the door to the tractor when DH or I pull in. And if we're working in the yard they come over to check out what we're doing from time to time, too.

If I step outside with a white bucket in my hand, then they go crazy. White bucket = table scraps and peelings, and they LOVE those!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by