Spooky Broody!

Can you throw together a broody coop with a private run? We did this with scrapes of wood, used hardware cloth for coop and chicken wire for run, door from coop to run can be closed and latched. Only had to buy some hardware for latches. Then once your chicks hatch, you can move mom and babies in their private area (our's is in the regular run so all can see each other through the chicken wire/ hardware cloth.) We use this as a grow out box after hen is done with chicks as well. Only did it once before (doing it again now) and it seems to work well. chicks are allowed out when they are big enough to fend for themselves. We also have a lot of home building in our area, and have had luck with contractors allowing us to "dumpster dive" for wood. Also pallets (free on Craig's list here) work well as does old wooden fencing (free on Craig's list here also). Good luck with whatever you decide is best for you and your chickens.

Last edited:
yeah my cochin will let me lift her up to check under her which i often do for larger batches because sometimes they break. actually anything over ten you need to keep an eye on and remove any broken ones or it'll foul the rest of the nest. you can remove any rotten straw when she gets off to eat and clean the eggs at night if they have any rotten yolk on them.

Ok so I did a little math, technically I had eggs in the box on the 16th. She was in and out a bit, and when full broody on the 18th. Im hoping I might have peeping by tuesday! But there may be hatching as late as the 12th. Hard to say.

I went in today and tried getting an egg from under her and she growled and snarled at me lol. Its a great sign! She might hold out! :fl

Im really hoping they start hatching soon, I got 5 day old chicks today and want to integrate the new chicks in with them so they all grow up together.

Ok so I did a little math, technically I had eggs in the box on the 16th. She was in and out a bit, and when full broody on the 18th. Im hoping I might have peeping by tuesday! But there may be hatching as late as the 12th. Hard to say.

I went in today and tried getting an egg from under her and she growled and snarled at me lol. Its a great sign! She might hold out! :fl

Im really hoping they start hatching soon, I got 5 day old chicks today and want to integrate the new chicks in with them so they all grow up together.
There might be a problem. Broodies don't sit on eggs too long after the chicks hatch. Some of the older eggs may need to go into an incubator. If you do not have one, see if you can borrow one from someone local.

I was expecting a hatch date of may 2 and maybe may 3 for the musical nest playing broody. But on April 30 had a baby stick it's head out of the mom who had been sitting from the beginning and spent May 1 in the chicken coop all day as that broody who had decided to brood in the coop was hatching eggs and i was afraid the oldest, who were starting to move around would fall 2 feet to the ground or mom would give up clutch to take care of those that were wanting to explore. Anyway, be prepared for a possible early hatch. Like all babies, they hatch when they are ready! :barnie

My plan is to take the babies away asap as each one hatches, thought Ive read that the mom can get stressed by this. What can I do to minimise her discomfort as I remove the babies?

My plan is to take the babies away asap as each one hatches, thought Ive read that the mom can get stressed by this. What can I do to minimise her discomfort as I remove the babies?
I always take them ASAP. Once they can't hear the cheeping they settle. Generally after I remove all chicks and eggs the mom will break after a few days on her own. I currently have 3 bantam hens on eggs I plan to remove as they hatch. I do it yearly. They snap back fairly quickly.

I work from 5am to 4pm every day. Will it cause problems if one hatches while Im at work? I dont have anyone at home for those hours for 2 days. im very concerned she will leave the nest after 2 or 3 hatch! :idunno

Back
Top Bottom