Sportsman Incubator~ Anyone use them?pointers?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by erthymom2, Jul 3, 2008.

1. erthymom2

erthymom2 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    I just purchased a used Sportman 1500 incubator which is coming this weekend ~ doing the happy dance!!! it's the automatic one, not digital, but still hase all the bells & whistles on it.

I've had one on loan to me for months now, but it was a way-older model and all manual controls.

I'd like to hear from those of you who use a Sportsman some pointers and advice on how to best set up and do a hatch of chick eggs.
    thanks in advance.

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I so wish I had one so I could give you pointers!! [​IMG]

3. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    I have a older model and I love it, except one problem with having one is that it holds a lot of eggs and if your like me you'll hate to see any empty spaces in it;) as far as pointers don't really have any all I know is my hatch rate went way up after switching from the Styrofoam.

4. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    I have the 1502 and love it. I found out I don't need the humidity pads for it. All I have to do is place a cotton ball in the one round vent on the side and it raises to 65%-70%. Then if I pull the rubber plug out keeps it at 46% which is perfect. I have hatched hundreds of babies since I bought it last year. I line the hatching tray with newspaper and lay a piece of that rubber shelf lining over that for easy clean up when they hatch.

5. Just-Like-Hatching

Just-Like-Hatching Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    Dothan, AL
    I have the 1502 and have had great results with it. I have hatched out several hundred chicks with mine this year and love it. I did get the external humidity bucket and the tray with the float valve. It is a great addition. I am sure you will be very pleased with yours.

6. priszilla

priszilla Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2008
    easley sc
    I am just wishing I had one--and repeating Thou shalt not covet Thou shalt not covet....

7. bishopschickens

bishopschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Cumberland, VA
    I bought one to this year...the digital 1502 and wow is it amazing. Seems almost everything I put in it hatches. Its simple to use just watch the humidity and I am the same way with not having to use the wick pads.

Brandon

8. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Mine is about 4-5 years old now. The only thing I also recommend is the automatic water bucket so it fills itself.

All you do is put the eggs in, candle in a week and hatch at day 18.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by