Spots on one hen’s eggs

Yigolette

Chirping
Dec 15, 2020
Micronesia
Hello,

one of my girls always has these spots on her eggs that can be wiped off. The other three of my hens do not have this on their eggs. Is everything okay? Should I be concerned?

62693261-5C88-4564-A454-430B2037D7BD.jpeg

Are they blood? Poop? They wipe off with a firm scrub and end up looking like all the other eggs. Curious about why one hen has them but the other four don’t?
It is just an extra layer of pigment from my understanding. You can rub the brown off of most eggs if yiu scrub hard enough. What breed of chicken layed it? Speckles are normal/common for some breeds.
(Or you can post a picture of her)

Looks like it is part of the pigment or bloom.
It's completely normal, and not a problem. Not blood or poo. Just an extra layer that the hen puts on the egg before it comes out so that bacteria doesn't enter the egg.
Speckled eggs are always fun to have, and look beautiful in the egg basket :)

Looks like it is part of the pigment or bloom.
It's completely normal, and not a problem. Not blood or poo. Just an extra layer that the hen puts on the egg before it comes out so that bacteria doesn't enter the egg.
Speckled eggs are always fun to have, and look beautiful in the egg basket :)

x2. Love me some speckled eggs. I'm currently getting speckled olive eggs from one of my pullets some of the time, and 2 of my hens also sometimes lay speckled brown eggs.

Some speckles can be scrubbed off, mostly from very dark layers.

'Speckled' eggs can happen for several different reasons...very few, if any, of which are a 'problem'.

Can be caused by:
Excess or uneven pigment coating.
Excess or uneven cuticle(bloom).
Excess calcium deposits.
Porous eggs can appear speckled.
Some birds lay them consistently, some only once in awhile.
The pigment or bloom can change appearance when wet, then change back when dry again.

As long as bird is getting a good diet and is healthy in every other way, it is no cause for concern.

Back
Top Bottom