spots on shells

Scout Finch

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 11, 2013
I'm sorry if this is not the right forum, for this.

I notice that many of my hens' eggs have itty bitty dark red spots on the shells. They are usually concentrated on one or both ends of the shells. I usually have to scrub a little with a cloth to get them off, and even then sometimes they stick on the shell. Some come off very easily with the swipe of a fingernail.

I am not convinced that they are blood spots, but I've not seen pictures of what blood spots on egg shells look like. My chickens seem healthy enough…laying nearly everyday and feathers in good shape. I've been worried about mites from what I've been reading online, but I don't see any direct evidence of mites (unless these spots on the eggs are evidence enough).

Thoughts? If anyone has a picture of blood spots on shells caused by mites, that would be helpful!

Like this?

Rough shelled or Pimpled Eggs
Egg shells can have different textures causes by a range of things from excess calcium intake (pimpled eggs) to double-ovulation, disease, defective shell gland or rapid changes in lighting conditions (sandpaper eggs). As long as these types of eggs are found infrequently, there is no cause for concern.​

I'm sorry if this is not the right forum, for this.

I notice that many of my hens' eggs have itty bitty dark red spots on the shells. They are usually concentrated on one or both ends of the shells. I usually have to scrub a little with a cloth to get them off, and even then sometimes they stick on the shell. Some come off very easily with the swipe of a fingernail.

I am not convinced that they are blood spots, but I've not seen pictures of what blood spots on egg shells look like. My chickens seem healthy enough…laying nearly everyday and feathers in good shape. I've been worried about mites from what I've been reading online, but I don't see any direct evidence of mites (unless these spots on the eggs are evidence enough).

Thoughts? If anyone has a picture of blood spots on shells caused by mites, that would be helpful!
What breed of chickens do you have? Some lay speckled eggs, some all the time some just once in a while.
The brown on eggs is a coating applied as the last step of the egg formation process, sometimes it doesn't get applied thoroughly creating speckles. Some speckles come off easily some don't.

It's probably not a problem. Posting a pic could help folks diagnose what the issue might be if there is one.

Back
Top Bottom