Spotted chicken eggs

purosaviparos

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 18, 2011
I have a few different breeds roamin in the back 40 including (what i believe to be) Marans, Wyandottes, Norfolk Grey and Anconas , about 70 birds in total, and of course several hybrids of each one. (at least thats what they look like according to internet pictures). My goal is egg production, living outside of the US well basically there are no rules here, selling eggs from your house is very acceptable and unless you happen to sell a few spoiled ones (not that ive ever done it, just heard of those who have) nobody gives you any guff. However, my egg buying community really likes to see brown spotted eggs and i would really like to know more about getting them to this composition. I have read that it all depends on genetics, ear lobes and feathers and such can note what will be put forth. I am just wondering, in the attempt to make a seperate area specifically for breeding brown spotted eggs; If i hatch brown spotted eggs will this result in brown spotted egg putters? Of course this would also have to do with the rooster but just being a good colored/spotted egg should mean the passing of the same genetics right? Also some eggs come out just brown and not spotted, is there a way to get the eggs to have more spots, by means of special food or maybe I could put food coloring in the water haha, the last part is a joke, but would really like to give my customers what they are looking for. To date i have been selling by the dozen, well a variety of white, cream, brown and brown spotted, any input on the topic?

Welsummers tend to lay a lot of brown spotted eggs from what I've seen. Can't think of another breed that consistently lays them.

I've gotten some freckled eggs from our barred Rock hen, and the bantam partridge Cochins do some speckling, although not as often. The speckled Sussex hens were good at doing freckled brown eggs too. I have two EE hens that lay green eggs with brown speckles; they're sort of "off-model" as far as EEs are concerned, because they don't have muffs or beards. But as far as chicken breeds that provide reliable spotting on eggs, I couldn't say--we've never had huge numbers of any one breed.

I've got a Turkin (bare neck) that sometimes lays spotted eggs, but not consistantly. I also was wondering what makes them sometimes have spots and sometimes not. They look so pretty mixed in with my other brown, blue/green, and pale pink eggs.

Could you anyone recommened a reliable clean mail order source to make an order for some welsummer eggs?

Thanks

My welsummer lays some ver dark spotted eggs and some notsodarkbutstillalittlebitdark spotted eggs!!
tongue2.gif

Back
Top Bottom