Spotted Egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lunkerchicken, Oct 25, 2009.

1. lunkerchicken

lunkerchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

I have 4 girls that are currently laying and one has started laying spotted eggs. the last 2 eggs she has laid, look like the one below. What is it and what can I do to prevent it? I give them organic layer pellets for there main meal and supplement with some treats and scratch during the week. One of the treats is organic plain yogurt - could this be the culprit?

[​IMG]

Thanks.

[​IMG]

2. enola

enola Overrun With Chickens

I have a hen that lays eggs like this. I am assuming that the spots are extra calcium on the surface of the egg.

Does anyone know for sure ?

3. koifarm

koifarm Chillin' With My Peeps

I get some that have lots of little grainy protrusions now and again, nothing steady but sometimes.
    I guess all hens are different and yours may just be working on getting her machinery in order.....if you can tell which hen is laying them maybe a good exam might lead you somewhere.
    All in all I wouldn't worry too much about it, just keep an eye on her and maybe the problem will take care of itself.

4. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Is this from a new layer? It would be typical for a newbie. Are the white areas raised (bumpy)? Frankly, I like mine to have the little calcium bumps on them. Then I know they are getting enough calcium!

5. AngieChick

AngieChick Poultry Elitist

They do look like calcium to me. I wouldn't worry about it.

6. lunkerchicken

lunkerchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Yes, they just started laying. They are raised as well.

Thanks for all your advice.

[​IMG]

7. eggsrcool

eggsrcool Sussex Fanatic

Yes, I was told by my old science teacher that speckles on eggs are little blobs of calcium [​IMG]

eggsrcool [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by