Spraddle leg and what remaining options

Cookiee

Songster
Apr 22, 2022
England
Hi all, my last batch of Coturnix had an amazing 100% hatch rate they all hatched on the 17th day except for one that tried to hatch a day later but was stuck in the shell and just half zipped and was zipping in the wrong direction for some reason. As a rule I don't intervene but seeing as this chick was half way out and becoming less active as the hours were passing I helped it and removed it from the shell.

I have never had to deal with spraddle leg before as I have never had a chick that has suffered with it, she is eating well and drinking and can walk around in a funny shuffling motion, it's almost like her legs are way to big for her and they don't spread wildly to the sides of her body like some severe cases. I have tried splinting and the glass trick but alas she was unable to walk at all when I splinted her legs.

Is it worth her continuing with her life or is it more humane for me to dispatch her now ?

Any advice is grateful.

Attachments

• 20220808_173409.jpg
    20220808_173409.jpg
    472.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 20220808_173422.jpg
    20220808_173422.jpg
    468.9 KB · Views: 11
I never had any medical tape but I was able to find a plastic straw and some tiny elastic bands my daughter uses for crafting. I cut the staw about a half inch and threaded the band through and looped around the birds legs. It was rolling around on the floor for several minutes after making a lot of noise in distress and the rest of the chicks were pecking at it.

I removed the bird temporarily but placed her back with the rest as she was calling to the others non stop. Her legs are underneath her now where they are supposed to be and she can move around with the bands. I hope after some days this fixes her.

Attachments

• 20220808_211901.jpg
    20220808_211901.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 12
I never had any medical tape but I was able to find a plastic straw and some tiny elastic bands my daughter uses for crafting. I cut the staw about a half inch and threaded the band through and looped around the birds legs. It was rolling around on the floor for several minutes after making a lot of noise in distress and the rest of the chicks were pecking at it.

I removed the bird temporarily but placed her back with the rest as she was calling to the others non stop. Her legs are underneath her now where they are supposed to be and she can move around with the bands. I hope after some days this fixes her.
That looks great!

I hope it fixes her! So good you caught it early.
For info, anyone else following this thread about spraddle leg:
Sadly, I just lost a chick about 3 hours ago to spraddle leg AND curled toes. It was 3 days old - and I didn't notice it until today. It couldn't stand or walk at all. I tried making the little booties and banding the legs with vet tape, she was all fixed up. Did a little 5-min exercise with the legs and feet. Refused to eat scrambled egg or starter mash with Vitamin E. Drank a little water with a bit of B12 vitamin. I put her back in the brooder in a separate little box with food and water within reach. It died less than an hour later. I think it was already too dehydrated, or weak from struggling and bullying. :th

Sorry to hear about your loss and thanks for your kind words. I think the next day or two will be crucial, the legs fastened together are helping and the rest of the chicks for now have stopped pecking and wing pulling her, I tried moving her to a smaller container in the brooder but she calls constantly. I will update tomorrow and see if there is change overnight.

Back
Top Bottom