Spraddle Leg - Splay Leg Treatment Instructions

Thank you. My little guy is full of energy and spunk. He has a wonderful disposition. Recently got him a play mate. A young red hen with 2 toes on one foot and a stump on the other...they love to cuddle and groom. They are the only 2 I have at the moment. No more farming for me! Only taking in rehabs and helpless from now on...

Chrystal Dawn--

I am sorry to not post a message sooner to say I am so sorry for the loss of your little Pearl. She looked so dear and well-loved in your photo you PM'd, and your caring for her warmed my heart.

I'm glad you can know you really tried. I'm sorry your sweet chick couldn't make it, but I am sure she appreciated the love & caring you gave.
hugs.gif

Last edited:
Chrystal Dawn--

I am sorry to not post a message sooner to say I am so sorry for the loss of your little Pearl. She looked so dear and well-loved in your photo you PM'd, and your caring for her warmed my heart.

I'm glad you can know you really tried. I'm sorry your sweet chick couldn't make it, but I am sure she appreciated the love & caring you gave.
hugs.gif
Thank you. I got so attached to that little baby. I've never been so upset about losing one before. It's been over a week and I have a lump in my throat thinking about her now. You're very kind to offer advice and condolences. I appreciate all your help more than you could know.

I am glad to help, as others have helped me when my heart has been wrenched in trying to care for a little one.

May you find comfort knowing that your chick is in a good place where she is now free from her challenges.

hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif

The condition is not always caused by poor footing as a chick. Birth defects are a common cause. Sometimes a chick is born with a deformity (or a number of deformities) which make it impossible for the bird's leg(s) to be repaired.
Ex: Dove (ring neck) hatched with multiple deformities; these included a rotated and short femur, poor metabolism also. Trouble eating and drinking although nearby and available. These birds don't live a long time.

Another case: sparrow born with short metatarsal (leg bone) about 1/2 the proper length and also rotated out. Skin presented a webbing effect to keep the leg rotated. Surgery on the chick needed but impossible as too small and young. The bird actually is hopping around unreleasable, and can perch with the other leg. Other than this leg problem, this bird seems to be healthy.

If there is no obvious deformity then the correction method can be tried. Best to let a vet see the bird to determine what else may be wrong with it. Usually a splay condition coincides with other problems; these usually from birth.

Thank you so much for the link for how to correct a spraddle leg. I did this on a Quail chick that was left with a straddle leg for 3 days, within hours you could see a difference. Today on the forth day its walking round just great,one leg is still slightly out to one side but in a few days i think that will correct. I did put a piece of carpet down which helped it to keep its legs under its body, eating and drinking fine with the other chicks in the incubator.. its future is looking bright :)

Thank you so much for the link for how to correct a spraddle leg. I did this on a Quail chick that was left with a straddle leg for 3 days, within hours you could see a difference. Today on the forth day its walking round just great,one leg is still slightly out to one side but in a few days i think that will correct. I did put a piece of carpet down which helped it to keep its legs under its body, eating and drinking fine with the other chicks in the incubator.. its future is looking bright :)

I am very new to baby chicks, I purchased 10 of them and brought them home, placed them in the coop, fed and watered them than after a couple of days I noticed one of the chicks legs were doing the splits so I brought her inside to care for her, she stayed in a box for a couple of days when I read that she may have spraddle leg, so I put a bandaid on her legs to keep them together about 1/8 inch apart. She started chirping very loudly but she was eating and drinking so I just let her be hoping for the best. It has been 24 hours later and she is still chirping very loudly, eating and drinking, but she is not getting up on her legs. I guess I thought I would see improvement by now, am I expecting too much too soon? I feel like she is not a very happy chick the way she is chirping so loud, I guess the questions is should she be standing up by now? or am I being too impatient? I would appreciate any advice or suggestions,please and thank you in advance.

I am very new to baby chicks, I purchased 10 of them and brought them home, placed them in the coop, fed and watered them than after a couple of days I noticed one of the chicks legs were doing the splits so I brought her inside to care for her, she stayed in a box for a couple of days when I read that she may have spraddle leg, so I put a bandaid on her legs to keep them together about 1/8 inch apart. She started chirping very loudly but she was eating and drinking so I just let her be hoping for the best. It has been 24 hours later and she is still chirping very loudly, eating and drinking, but she is not getting up on her legs. I guess I thought I would see improvement by now, am I expecting too much too soon? I feel like she is not a very happy chick the way she is chirping so loud, I guess the questions is should she be standing up by now? or am I being too impatient? I would appreciate any advice or suggestions,please and thank you in advance.
She could just be chirping so loudly because she is alone. Lonely chickens are not happy chickens. But if she's chirping now and wasn't before then maybe she's just angry about her hobbles. When I had a sick chick and I had to keep her legs splint with her in a chick chair, I kept telling myself that even though she's upset now, I'd rather her be upset for a few days than crippled for life. Good luck with the baby. There is great information on this forum.

Back
Top Bottom