Spraddle leg / splayed leg? 3 day old chick can't fully stand up and it leans on one side.

chickenguydude

Hatching
May 3, 2024
3-4 day old chick can't fully stand up. It hobbles around pushing off of one leg and kinda lays on its side when its not moving. Its able to sit its self up and drink. It chirps a lot like its in distress.

We tied its legs assuming its spraddle/splayed because we don't know what else it could be. It arrived like this in shipping.

Attachments

• IMG_8912.jpeg
    IMG_8912.jpeg
    378 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_3308.jpeg
    IMG_3308.jpeg
    357.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_3307.jpeg
    IMG_3307.jpeg
    308.5 KB · Views: 8
Looks like splayed leg. Keep something around both it's legs (As in your first picture.) for a couple days and see how it does then. You could also use a pipe cleaner to keep its legs together. Don't take it off the legs until you see that it is getting better. Just make sure you are keeping an eye on him and making sure he is eating and drinking.

Looks like splayed leg. Keep something around both it's legs (As in your first picture.) for a couple days and see how it does then. You could also use a pipe cleaner to keep its legs together. Don't take it off the legs until you see that it is getting better. Just make sure you are keeping an eye on him and making sure he is eating and drinking.
Thanks! We don’t know if hes eating so i’m going to get some electrolyte mix and maybe some yolk. He pecks at the little food but we don’t 100% know if hes swallowing. Should we isolate him from the other chicks? They pick on him sometimes.

Thanks! We don’t know if hes eating so i’m going to get some electrolyte mix and maybe some yolk. He pecks at the little food but we don’t 100% know if hes swallowing. Should we isolate him from the other chicks? They pick on him sometimes.
Definitely give him that yoke and those electrolytes for an extra boost! The most important thing is that he is eating and drinking.

If he stops eating, you can make the green tea egg yoke mixture as in the video down below ( 3.13 ) and that should give him an extra boost!

I don't think you should separate him from the rest of the chicks unless they are drawing blood (Which shouldn't happen because they are so little.). Splayed leg is a super common thing for chicks and if treated correctly, should heal up pretty fast. Separating him could lead to depression and could be worse for him than just being with the other chicks.
I don't think you have much to worry about if his legs are getting taken care of!
Best wishes to you! Let me know if you have any questions!

Definitely give him that yoke and those electrolytes for an extra boost! The most important thing is that he is eating and drinking.

If he stops eating, you can make the green tea egg yoke mixture as in the video down below ( 3.13 ) and that should give him an extra boost!

I don't think you should separate him from the rest of the chicks unless they are drawing blood (Which shouldn't happen because they are so little.). Splayed leg is a super common thing for chicks and if treated correctly, should heal up pretty fast. Separating him could lead to depression and could be worse for him than just being with the other chicks.
I don't think you have much to worry about if his legs are getting taken care of!
Thank you.

I followed the instructions and fed the chick with some of the yolk mixture. It actually ate it which is nice. I'll attempt to feed it that way 4-5 times a day and make sure I put it in front of the water bowl and let it drink before and after.

I'll be sure to update the chicks condition as time goes on.

I attached a video from this morning. First, longer video is last night. Second shorter video is this morning. Its legs are much closer together than before but still not much strength. Still has energy, eats and drinks, but definitely doesn’t have the best QoL just laying under the heater not being able to move.. although that’s where it seems to be most comfortable. We are trying to do PT but we have no idea if it’s working lol.

(last night)

(this morning)

I attached a video from this morning. First, longer video is last night. Second shorter video is this morning. Its legs are much closer together than before but still not much strength. Still has energy, eats and drinks, but definitely doesn’t have the best QoL just laying under the heater not being able to move.. although that’s where it seems to be most comfortable. We are trying to do PT but we have no idea if it’s working lol.

(last night)

(this morning)
Poor baby... I hate to see him struggle like this. Just keep something around his legs 24/7 until you see progress. Like I said, keep a close eye on him and make sure he is getting all the help and food he needs...
ALSO, make sure wherever he is staying has traction on the ground. This will help him have better Balance and will make his recovery process so much easier for him. Let me know how he is doing!

Thank you.

I followed the instructions and fed the chick with some of the yolk mixture. It actually ate it which is nice. I'll attempt to feed it that way 4-5 times a day and make sure I put it in front of the water bowl and let it drink before and after.

I'll be sure to update the chicks condition as time goes on.
Great! I'm so glad it's working! Update me on how things are going!

Back
Top Bottom