spraddle leg?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by raymondjames, Sep 23, 2012.

1. raymondjames

raymondjames Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011
    just noticed that today one of my little chicks has a leg that is kind of off to the side and can't walk too good. they're almost 3 weeks old, which makes me worry how long s/he has had this. how do i treat this. i dont know for sure if this is the spraddled leg i hear being talked about, but it is a problem...

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Have a look here: Spraddle Leg? I noticed it's the same title as your thread, but it's from awhile back. Has a good link in it. Good luck with your little one!

3. Henny Lane

Henny Lane Out Of The Brooder

Aug 25, 2012
    Hagerman, Idaho
    Vet wrap works AMAZING for treating spraddle leg. You can get a roll of it at your local feed store or probably even somewhere like pet smart. I know our local feed store sells a large roll for $1.59. It's stretchy and it won't stick to their skin like a bandaid will. Plus, they still have some use of their legs so they can get to food, water, etc...
    This blog was really great explaining spraddle leg. Even if your chick is older, I would still give it a try. Couldn't hurt.
    http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/02/spraddle-leg-in-baby-chicks-what-is-it.html

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by