Spraddle/Splay Legged Rooster?

Pagemaker

In the Brooder
10 Years
Mar 28, 2009
What causes a cock to suddenly come down with spraddle/splay legs?
I also noticed my last batch of chicks in the incubator had to be destroyed due to this.
Is it a viral or bacterial infection or a vitamin deficiency? ... and in the case of the old brood cock, can it be cured?

thanks in advance

Ummm Bump.
How many chicks were in the incubator?
How old were they?
Many have healed up just fine with electrolytes and vitamins in the water.
And with poly vi sol (no iron).
Mine had leg problems. But BYCers helped and in 2 days with above treatment (vitamin/electrolytes) they were normal.
They were just "new" and needed a little time to finish developing.
What are you feeding your roo?
Is he free range?
How many other chickens? Roosters? Dogs? Other birds or animals are kept with him in the same yard?
What have you done different in the last week or few days? Anything changed or pest control guy come out?
How long has he been like that?
As for your Roo, I would get the electrolytes and vitamins in the water and get some poly vi sol (no iron) drops in him.
That's supportive care until someone else chimes in with more advise.
Good Luck!

Last edited:
There were no changed that I can think of when he came down spraddle legged. There were two hens with hiim as well. They never got it. I've seen it in the past, it has always been older roosters, never hens that get it.

The chicks... I'm leaning towards believing that it was a vitamin deficiency. the eggs were from the same pens. I have hatched a couple of hundred already this year... and these were the last ones I was going to set. I'm thinking the hens could have just been laid out and were perhaps not providing enough vitamins to the egg. I had not been giving any vitamins in the water or anything... which i'm sure would have probably prevented it.

I culled the chicks that had it as I do not want to deal with any weakness in them. Besides I have plenty now.

But as for the old cock (he is probably 6 years old) I would like to know if there is some kind of treatment for him... he is a proven producer and I don't want to loose him.

Back
Top Bottom