Spraddled chick

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by edgewoodpoultry, Aug 6, 2013.

1. edgewoodpoultry

edgewoodpoultry New Egg

Aug 6, 2013
    We recently had a spraddled chick in one of our broody girls hatchings . A very bad one . By its second day it could only bum shuffle, couldn't get to food and drink and was cold from being left by mum . I did some research , we made an elastic strap and tied his legs together at ankles . Slightly wider than normal stance . He stood straight up and started to walk . A week later we cut the strap and now he's fine . In a brooder with new brothers and sisters .

2. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    [​IMG] Thats great!

3. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

How wonderful! Congrats on you success! [​IMG]

4. edgewoodpoultry

edgewoodpoultry New Egg

Aug 6, 2013
    Happy feet doing well, has grown strong and towers above his siblings ! Motley crew they are , 1 WS , 2 blk/lav Araucana 1 pekin and a very small squirt of a thing that's got fluffy feet . Not pekin ! It gets fed by the others and lives like a princess !! Happy feet still likes coming out to torment the cat fidget !! She actually brooded him when he was cold , tiny and poorly . When he made too much noise she used to gently pat him on the head , lick him and he would settle . Very funny , apart from waiting with breath held to step in and rescue if needed ! But no . She knows chickens are off limits no matter how small and tweety !!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by