ChickenNewbie2020

In the Brooder
Jul 6, 2020
So yesterday I posted about my hen being attacked my a fox. His lost a lot of butt feathers and got punctured. She seems to be healing up fine. Cleaned it up a bit and checking on it regularly to see if it gets infected.

NOW this morning I noticed she is limping. Doesn’t like to put too much weight on the one foot. And when we try to touch or mess with it she tries to fly out of our hands. There is no wound or anything really visible.

Is this something that could heal on its own? Any suggestions?
TIA

I would go back and update your other thread, since it is best to continue to post updates in the first thread, so that everyone knows what has been suggested already with less confusion. Can you see any swelling redness, green bruising up the leg all the way to the hip? Does she hold the leg up or put weight on it? Are you cleaning the wound twice a day and putting antibiotic ointment on it? I would limit her activity in a dog crate to keep her from reinjuring the leg from jumping up and down on roosts or overusing it. She might be sore from the fox attack.

The other thread only discussed the puncture wound. So figured I would discuss the foot issue in a new post.

she was lifting her leg up and curling her toes in. There is no discoloration. She is putting some weight on it. But not a lot.

are you saying put ointment on the toes? Cause there is no visible cuts or redness to the toes or legs.

And yes she is in the garage in a large crate so she won’t jump up on the roost.

No, I just was asking it you were putting ointment on the puncture wound under the vent. Is she keeping the toes curled under or relaxing them sometimes? B complex vitamins or some food with extra riboflavin might help with that. It may take some time to recover from a sprain, but she may just have started feeling sore today, as you or I would do after a fall. You might want to bring her crate out with the other chickens in the daytime, for company, so she still is part of the flock. Let us know how she gets along.

Yup ointment on the wound twice a day.
Today I let her out in the coop with the 4 others, she stuck with them but mostly stood on her good leg and curled her toes under. She does relax them and put her leg down. Like in the crate now she has pressure on her foot. Crossing fingers she is just sore and can walk normally again.

Back
Top Bottom