sprattled leg, will it ever correct...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Hobbley_Farm, May 13, 2009.

1. Hobbley_Farm

Hobbley_Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    Pilot Mountain, NC
    I'm hatching out the best hatch I have had to date. But the first three that hatched were two days early. The very first one that hatched out has sprattled legs. Today is the day that they are all meant to hatch out. The one that has the sprattled legs is alive and spirited but can't really walk. It more or less scoots around. Will this correct itself seeing as it was a premie? Or will I need to do something, or cull it? Any advice appreciated.

2. melissa508

melissa508 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    ma
    you can fix a splayed leg. Just get some tape..preferably not one thats too sticky like duct. put the tape from 1 leg to the other in the middle so that the legs are pulled close together (not touching) but in the standing position. This method worked for me 99% of the time. If he cant stand up..let me know I have another thing i do in addition to this

3. Dorothy1324

Dorothy1324 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2007
    I had a little one with spraddle leg just a baindaid cut in half length wise wrap around both legs to hold them together leave it for about a week and check that is all it took for mine but i have heard some people have to leave it on for another week or so.

4. vickie2133

vickie2133 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2009
    Corbin
    Melissa is telling you right. You can also just use some band-aids on it instead of tape. It is has feathers on its legs, this may be tricky. You can also give it some liquid vitamins in its water (Polisoyl). I picked up mine at Kmart.

5. Hobbley_Farm

Sep 9, 2008
    Pilot Mountain, NC
    k, as I move chicks out of the bator into the brooder, I keep an eye on him. ITs like he has a sprattled leg with a club foot.

Also, sorry if I'm thick headed, but I'm not really sure how I should tape or bandaid his legs together and him be able to move around. Does anyone have a picture, perchance?

6. vickie2133

Jan 30, 2009
    Corbin
    He won't be able to move around. I should have added this comment before, sorry. depending on the size of your brooder, I use like a small shoebox or something to seperate it, and I done the band aid thing, and then wrapped it up in like a washrag or similar item, and propped them up in the corner, so they have to put some weight on the legs, but not their full weight. This worked for me, but I did have to make sure to check the chick often, and hold it while it eat and got a few drinks of water, it only took mine 3 day max though. It has worked for mine, but is time consuming. If any more questions, you can always pm me. This is what I do, others may have other ideas, but this has worked 99 percent of the time. What are you using in the brooder?

7. Hobbley_Farm

Sep 9, 2008
    Pilot Mountain, NC
    I have a rubbermaid bin (not actually rubber maid, don't know the brand) And I have some flattend out hay in there. It's been tamped down. I have a 100 watt light bulb with a thermometer. I have a small tray for water and I'm just using a peice of cardboard paper to put feed on at the moment untill every one gets a little more agile. It's in my closet which is very warm anyhow, due to the water heater being in my closet. (turned out to be the perfect place for an incubator and brooder!)

8. vickie2133

Jan 30, 2009
    Corbin
    sometimes the vitamins correct it on its own but I choose both, the band aids and the vitamins. Newspaper or other slick things can cause sprandled leg also. I sometimes use newspaper, but it is n't slick, the sales papers are very slicky and I recommend never using them. I have to get to work but if you have any other ?'s sent it to my box, and I will check my message when I get home. good luck, it isn't that hard. I promise.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by