Spraying for bugs around house

heybarb

Songster
7 Years
Mar 9, 2012
North Carolina
So, with our strange weather this spring we have all kinds of bugs (ants, roaches, spiders) getting into our old farm house. I usually use a granular insecticide around the perimeter of the house, but realized that's a really, really bad idea with free range chickens. So, what can we do? If we have Terminix or someone else come spray, won't the chickens eat the dead bugs and get sick? If we spray only the inside of the house, it doesn't work nearly as well, so what do you all do? What are our options?

I'd talk to Terminix about it. I don't know what poison they are spraying or what the effects of the chickens eating the dead bugs would be from them eating bugs killed by that specific poison. Unless someone knows what speciic poison they are using, they don't know either.

Terminix may have a specific poison they can use in those situations. I'd talk to the professionals.

Hi Barb! Same goes for me...not going to use chemicals wherever possible! I have been putting food grade DE on ant hills, around the house foundation, etc. It is safe for the chickens and us too! I definately do not want the poisonious chemicals in us, the chickens or the EGGs that they lay and we consume! You can buy food grade DE at TS, garden stores, feed stores, ACE Hardware......I have found it many places.....just make sure to ask for FOOD Grade DE!
Good luck! Ps...I am new to chickening too...what a fun hobby! ~Beulah
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom