Spraying with Permethrin

I have treated my birds with permethrin. Do I need a repeat a week later or when?
Permethrin is good for 30 days. No need to spray them after 30 days unless you actually see parasites on them.
Hopefully you cleaned out the inside of your coop and nest boxes and sprayed the permethrin in there as well. If not, there's an excellent chance your birds will eventually become parasitized again.

Permethrin is good for 30 days. No need to spray them after 30 days unless you actually see parasites on them.
Hopefully you cleaned out the inside of your coop and nest boxes and sprayed the permethrin in there as well. If not, there's an excellent chance your birds will eventually become parasitized again.
I actually cleaned out the boxes and used DE and sprayed with cedarcide because I didnt have the permethrin yet. I will spray with that this weekend.

I actually cleaned out the boxes and used DE and sprayed with cedarcide because I didnt have the permethrin yet. I will spray with that this weekend.
When you spray it, it would be best to spray first thing in the morning. After it soaks in and dries, you might want to put a fan inside the coop to blow the fumes out. The fan will dry up wet areas as well.

When you spray it, it would be best to spray first thing in the morning. After it soaks in and dries, you might want to put a fan inside the coop to blow the fumes out. The fan will dry up wet areas as well.
Thanks for the info. I actually lost 3 birds to the infestation. I am a relatively new owner and the last time they got mites they lost a lot of feathers. This time none. I will be more aware now about their behavior etc. Definitely a lesson learned.

Wow, that sounds great! I'd always read that treatment of the coop and birds HAD to be repeated in 7-day intervals to address the life cycle of lice or mites. Has this never been true for permethrin - just some other products?

Back
Top Bottom