1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Spread wing while sitting

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChickenDaddy, Jul 10, 2007.

1. ChickenDaddy

ChickenDaddy New Egg

Jul 10, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Hi All,

I am new to chickens, having bought 3 chicks this Spring. I do love them, and hadn't anticipated how much fun they'd be. [​IMG][​IMG]
    My question is, Why do the chickens sometimes sit with a wing spread out?
    I don't have a pic, and they've started doing this in the last week. They'll sit down together, and each one will then spread out a wing to the ground, covering just one side.

Thanks

2. ChickenDaddy

ChickenDaddy New Egg

Jul 10, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Here is a pic of Chicken Chicken with the neighbor's cat
    [​IMG]

3. jackiedon

jackiedon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Central Arkansas
    I don't know why they do it but mine do it too. Sometimes they even spread their legs out and it looks like they are dead. I guess they are just staying cool on these summer days.

jackie

4. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I call it chicken melting. I think they do it in the sun or in the shade just to relax, kind of like when you stretch out and relax.

5. 3homeschoolmom

3homeschoolmom New Egg

Jun 22, 2007
    Ohio
    Mine all do it, too. Last year one of mine was doing it--leg and wing--and my mom was so sure it was dead or dying, she made me poke it with a stick!

It is awfully funny-looking!

6. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

You ever been under a feather quilt?! It gets dang hot under them things!

Only place your chickens isn't coverd with feathers is it's feet and it's arm, err, wing pits! I've been told that it's like a built in ventilation system. Cooler air goes under the wing and cools down the blood that is going thru a major artery there in the, umm, pit =chicken air conditioning

7. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

You mean this? [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. JackieK318

JackieK318 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2007
    Missouri
    Hurry! Poke it with a stick! [​IMG] I always hear that. It scared me to death too the first time I saw a chicken do this! Same with the sleepy duster (golden seabright someone posted a while back!)

9. nychicks

nychicks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2007
    One of my chicks did this last week for the first time (they are four weeks old) and I freaked out. The other chicks were also pecking at it. I made my husband make sure it wasn't dying.....since then I have realized that they all do it. I have also noticed that they aren't really pecking at one another when they do this but it seems that they are cleaning off one anothers feathers???? They pick the pine shavings off and don't do the "mean" pecking that I have seen them do before.

10. dreamgirl

dreamgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2007
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Yup, mine (13 weeks) all do it too, including cleaning each other. They also insist on laying right on top of or next to one another, even in this heat!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by