Spreading Sickness

Gymmouse84

In the Brooder
Jun 6, 2017
I am currently keeping my chicks in our garage. We have been keeping a few in the house, separated, as they are sick with something (still don't know what). Someone said I shouldn't keep them in the house as they can spread diseases to humans. So I'm thinking of putting them in a separate brooder but in the same garage as my healthy chicks. Can they still spread sickness being in the same enclosed area?
I have been treating the sick chicks for coccidiosis. They have been lethargic with closed eyes for about three weeks now and just noticed bloody stool Sunday night. I have been treating them with Corid since Monday morning but haven't noticed any improvement.
Any suggestion would be very helpful!

Cocci is everywhere.
All of your chicks have probably been exposed to it already.
You can carry it into your house from the garage and vice versa.

Hopefully the Corid brings them back, three weeks sure sounds like a long time.

Cocci is everywhere.
All of your chicks have probably been exposed to it already.
You can carry it into your house from the garage and vice versa.

Hopefully the Corid brings them back, three weeks sure sounds like a long time.
Do you think if the others don't have it yet they probably have a strong enough immune system and will be okay? Everybody is on the medicated starter. I'm really hoping if they do have the cocci, the corid will clear it up. If that doesn't work I don't know what else to do

Medicated feed will not prevent it...as you should already know, you are dealing with it.
They could have already have built up something against it and maybe not.
You should go ahead and treat all your chicks with the Corid now, it won't hurt them.

Good...keep them all on Corid and make sure they are drinking the water and eating.
If is is cocci it will clear it up.
I still am having a hard time with them being this way for 3 weeks though..
Do they have any other symptoms?

It's just been the closed eyes and being lethargic this whole time until Sunday night when I noticed the poop. They seem to be growing still and eat and drink normally. One tends to sneeze quite a bit but that's all I've noticed.

If it is something other than coccidia there are things that can be spread thru their dust, dander and feathers...Marek's for one.

It's just been the closed eyes and being lethargic this whole time until Sunday night when I noticed the poop. They seem to be growing still and eat and drink normally. One tends to sneeze quite a bit but that's all I've noticed.
Is it dusty in the brooder?
How many are "sick"?

IMG_3682.JPG IMG_3683.JPG

Back
Top Bottom