spreading sneezes, but nothing else

bcbug1

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 6, 2012
I have two 8 week old RIRs and one started sneezing about 3 weeks ago and still is (I'm not sure if the second one is or not). It's really just a little "chew" sound, but quite she does it frequently like every few minutes. I see no other signs - no runny nose or anything. She is now in the coop along with four 5 week old chicks of various breeds - they've been together about 5 days now and I just noticed that some of the younger ones are now sneezing as well. They do it inside or out, although they're only out for short periods of time right now as the run still needs some work for me to leave them in it.

I use purchased pine shavings that came in a bale on top of newspaper. I used this while they were inside (when the RIR first started sneezing) and now also in the coop outside (I still have a brooder lamp on at night for the young ones in the coop).

The chicks were supposed to be vaccinated for both Marek's and Cocci.

Any ideas?

Chickens don't usually get allergies - sneezing is generally a sign of a respiratory infection. Marek's and cocci have nothing to do with sneezes and respiratory infections.

Could be one of the many illnesses that fall under the CRD category or a form of bronchitis. We're fighting this now. For our little hens it started out as hearing a sneeze every so often. A day or two later I noticed one of them falling asleep while free ranging. Later she developed raspy breathing. We treated the flock with Terra--Vet 10 which is water soluable and worked very well! We had to treat the sickest hen with Tylan 50 injections. Unfortuantely, she didn't improve much. I would either call your vet and see what he/she recommends or go to your local feed store and talk to one of the folks there with a ton of experience with chickens. I hope they feel better soon! Oh...our chickens were supposedly vaccinated as well.

I have two 8 week old RIRs and one started sneezing about 3 weeks ago and still is (I'm not sure if the second one is or not). It's really just a little "chew" sound, but quite she does it frequently like every few minutes. I see no other signs - no runny nose or anything. She is now in the coop along with four 5 week old chicks of various breeds - they've been together about 5 days now and I just noticed that some of the younger ones are now sneezing as well. They do it inside or out, although they're only out for short periods of time right now as the run still needs some work for me to leave them in it.

I use purchased pine shavings that came in a bale on top of newspaper. I used this while they were inside (when the RIR first started sneezing) and now also in the coop outside (I still have a brooder lamp on at night for the young ones in the coop).

The chicks were supposed to be vaccinated for both Marek's and Cocci.

Any ideas?
It's possible it could be an environmental issue such as feed dust, ammonia fumes from soiled bedding, pollen etc...which all can be corrected or eliminated.

Could be one of the many illnesses that fall under the CRD category or a form of bronchitis. We're fighting this now. For our little hens it started out as hearing a sneeze every so often. A day or two later I noticed one of them falling asleep while free ranging. Later she developed raspy breathing. We treated the flock with Terra--Vet 10 which is water soluable and worked very well! We had to treat the sickest hen with Tylan 50 injections. Unfortuantely, she didn't improve much. I would either call your vet and see what he/she recommends or go to your local feed store and talk to one of the folks there with a ton of experience with chickens. I hope they feel better soon! Oh...our chickens were supposedly vaccinated as well.
Did the Terra-Vet work on your sickest hen?

I have also used Duramycin 10 (in their drinking water) with good results. I am so glad I found this site- or i would have lost my chicks!

Our sickest little hen was so bad off we went straight for the Tylan 50. She was just too far gone to recover. The rest of the flock seems to be doing well. We do have one Barred Rock who is showing some reoccurring symptoms. We have her isolated for now since we just treated her with the Tylan. She's looks much better today after just 3 doses.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom