Spring 2008 Orders

JackieK318

Songster
12 Years
Apr 29, 2007
Missouri
So, who has put their spring orders in already? Whatcha gettin'?

Of course, I have:

3 Polish (Golden Laced, Buff and White Crested Black)
3 RIR
1 GL Wyandotte
2 Favorelles
4 Buff Rocks
2 Partridge Rocks
2 Anconas
2 Ameraucanas
2 Red Stars
2 Black Stars
2 Delawares
...then the rare chick. I'm hoping for a rooster somewhere in there - it's too quite around here lately!

WOW.....thats a big order. I dont have enough room to get that crazy....but i do have cuckoo marans eggs on order through a breeder. I expect they will be quality birds and i already have a home to take any/all roos that may develop.

Orders for me would be Speckled Hen, Julie in AL and some Blue Orpington breeders to increase the flock for different bloodlines and colors as well. Throw in a little Jody Buff Orps in the lot too LOL!

Might try to order from Sandhill Prservation for assortment of their Orpingtons. And Welsummers!

If things look the way they are looking I will be Ordering from meyer mostly Favvorells and Hatching Marans and Amerucanas and keeping 4 pullets to bring my grand total to 10 because I have 2 roos now and they need to go.

It is a pretty large order - hopefully they'll all stick around next year. I had such large flock loss this year due to coccidia (2) and a dog/raccoon (10). I hope not to have that again next year, but one never knows. Hubby doesn't want an electric fence due to our daughter, even though I'd just flip it on in the evening when we're inside. I'm going to make Fort Chicken more secure in the spring. No flock loss since I got the dog/raccoon situation taken care of, but I just want to be more than protective!

I am going to build a huge run for them instead of free ranging - just lost too many birds that way and now I hardly have any hens of laying age left.

Haven't ordered yet, but thinking about:

3 GL wyandotte
2 SS hamburg
2 buttercup
2 golden campine
6 mille fleur d'uccles
5 BLR wyandotte bantams

according to DH, "AS IF I NEED ANYMORE"!

I never order from a hatchery. Mine would be some new Blue and Buff Orpington blood from the flocks of EweSheep and Jody, some BLRW eggs from CarriBrown in our little egg egg-change we've set up and I've had the offer of some Welsummer eggs from a friend on BYC as well. So, those are my plans for Spring 2008.

As if I haven't already told anyone that will listen, I'm planning on ordering:
4 light brahmas, 4 buff brahmas, 4 dark brahmas and a buff brahma roo. Plan to order from Ideal.
Would love to order some ducks too, but haven't figured out yet how to disguise them as chickens. I actually had a slightly sneaky idea to get the ducks though. Come early spring I could start haunting the co-ops and farm supply stores to see if any of them have ducks and then just bring a few of em home....you know kinda like...look what followed me home...can I keep em??? Using big sweet puppy dog eyes of course.
See what y'all have done to me?!?!? You've turned me into a sneak!
D.gif

hehehheehhe! Hubby doesn't say anything anymore. In May when we first were going to get chickens he said: 6 hens and no roosters. Then, 10 hens and no roosters. Well. Those rules didn't stick. Now that it's cool to have chickens, all of his friends and co-worker want eggs, so I'm getting enough layers to accommodate my space and the egg demands.

Back
Top Bottom