Spring 2017 first timers post!

Pics
We went back to TSC for a few things today and there were still 3 chicks left. Sadly, we don't have room - the 6 we have is definitely our max right now. But I was able to snap a pic of the label. I guess we have Tetra Browns. I did a bit of research and found out that they are a hybrid originally created as a TSC exclusive bird about 7 years ago, but are more widely available now. Even so, seems there isn't as much info about them as other established pure breeds.

How are everyone esle's birds doing?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1154984/what-is-a-tetra-brown

Ok, wait a minute. I see from Tetra's website they are Tetra Americana not Ameraucana. There a big difference. The first is a company name. The second is an actual breed of chicken. So these Tetras from TSC are a company bred chicken not an Ameraucana breed chicken. The people who made the sign at TSC wrote the wrong name because I suspect they are pronounced very close to the same. Best, Karen

Last edited:
We are in AZ so our "spring" weather is now :). We just got 4 Black Australorps and are brand new backyard chicken-eers. We'd love to join up. In the process of building a coop as we speak. Complete Rookies over here!!!

We are in AZ so our "spring" weather is now
smile.png

Lucky you! We are in NE Ohio, so Spring weather is a ways off...the husband and I are going to be monitoring the weather with anticipation for when we can let them roam around the 6 acre "yard" we have. Cute chicks, too! I love the black and white babies.

Lucky you! We are in NE Ohio, so Spring weather is a ways off...the husband and I are going to be monitoring the weather with anticipation for when we can let them roam around the 6 acre "yard" we have. Cute chicks, too! I love the black and white babies.

Hey I'm in NE Ohio too which is part of why I'm waiting til May to get my little ladies

My chicks are now about 4 days old and I keep finding dry poop in their feathers. I'm only feeding them chick starter and the water with the electrolytes. Is this normal and how do I clean them up without upsetting them.

Hey I'm in NE Ohio too which is part of why I'm waiting til May to get my little ladies

I'm in NE Ohio too, I preordered mine in November and picked them up in January 16, they will be 6 wks by tomorrow. Possibly be moving in the coop in a week or two, the garage where they were brooding has average temps of 50s and brooder remains 65*F and above. I kind of calculated that by June some will start laying and we will have eggs longer time before winter if some wants to take winter laying breaks since I don't put lights in the coop.

First day

First week

5th week

Back
Top Bottom