Spring 2017 first timers post!

Pics
Three weeks and the babies will be here!!!! I can't wait!!!

I ordered a mix so the kids could tell them all apart. Plus I don't need super production just enough not to jave to buy store eggs. Sadly thoigh, not all of rhose chicks will be mine, some are going to another local for a split order.

How perfect! A group of people as nutty (er, enthusiastic) about getting their first chicks as I am. I too am expecting my first chicks the first week of April. I have ordered from Meyer Hatchery and am expecting 4 chicks. One welsummer, one barnevelder, one cream legbar, and one Swedish flower hen. Just have my fingers crossed that they arrive healthy and are all pullets. I made my choices based on reported friendliness to both chickens and people, decent egg-laying, nice assortment of colored eggs, and not likely to go broody. I plan to start with these four, and then get four more when these slow down with their laying. This will be a grandma/granddaughter project, so these girls will have a home with us all their days, even after we are no longer getting eggs.

The coop is about halfway finished. I will include photos if I can figure out how to post them. We purchased heather Bullard's coop plans, but doubled the width of the coop, and quadrupled the area of the run, giving us a footprint of 8 by 17 feet.

I am planning on using a ferplast rabbit cage found on Amazon to use as a brooder. It's 64" long by 24" wide by 20" tall. I am hoping it will be large enough for them until they are coop ready.

I am in Aptos, California, on the coast 40 miles North of Monterey and 70 miles South of San Francisco.

How perfect! A group of people as nutty (er, enthusiastic) about getting their first chicks as I am. I too am expecting my first chicks the first week of April. I have ordered from Meyer Hatchery and am expecting 4 chicks. One welsummer, one barnevelder, one cream legbar, and one Swedish flower hen. Just have my fingers crossed that they arrive healthy and are all pullets. I made my choices based on reported friendliness to both chickens and people, decent egg-laying, nice assortment of colored eggs, and not likely to go broody. I plan to start with these four, and then get four more when these slow down with their laying. This will be a grandma/granddaughter project, so these girls will have a home with us all their days, even after we are no longer getting eggs.

The coop is about halfway finished. I will include photos if I can figure out how to post them. We purchased heather Bullard's coop plans, but doubled the width of the coop, and quadrupled the area of the run, giving us a footprint of 8 by 17 feet.

I am planning on using a ferplast rabbit cage found on Amazon to use as a brooder. It's 64" long by 24" wide by 20" tall. I am hoping it will be large enough for them until they are coop ready.

I am in Aptos, California, on the coast 40 miles North of Monterey and 70 miles South of San Francisco.

Add some more ventilation on that back wall.

That's looking real nice Gary, what are the dimensions on it? I already know I need a bigger coop, I just need to figure out how to get it..... husband is unconvinced that this is an actual "need".

Nice! Are you going to put wire across the bottom to discourage predators? My coop was started in August and still pretty far from being finished. I like my contractor and he knows that my chicks aren't coming until Spring, but I am impatient to have it done so that I can add the fun finishing touches. The coop name will be Le Rendez-Vous. Fits in with the French theme, but easy to pronounce and I am hoping that it will be a rendezvous point for family and friends.

Back
Top Bottom