Spring 2017 first timers post!

Pics
Haha
lau.gif
my family got to name some and that is what they chose
barnie.gif
but oh well

Well, an online friend of mine gets to name one.... and they decided on Purple Thunder.... how?!?!?!? :D

Thank you. I hope so too. I don't think she will make it through the night though. :(

I had a ity bity that I was certain would not make it and I read on another thread where someone gave their sick chick emergen-c so I thought why not try it and it worked!!! My chick had labored breathing, very lethargic, crying when awake, and after giving it the emergen-c it is acting like a different bird completely. Its grooming itself, drink and eating, stretching its legs and running with the others. For a newbie Im amazed it worked. Its available at walmart, dollar stores, and any pharmacy. I would encourage anyone to give it a try if there is not much hope left.

So I did a total brooder box clean-out this evening. I managed to snap a few pics of the girls, but they were a little agitated from all the fuss in their box. They all seem happy and healthy!

On the makeshift roosting bar. A few are starting to willingly sit on my fingers when I come to say hi.

Our bigger chick. Her wing and tail feathers are much more developed than the others. My guess is we got one a few days older.

Also, does anyone have any idea what is up with this dark spot on one of my chicks? At first it looks like a dirty smudge in the down on her neck, and I thought she had some deep dirt in her down. But when I move the down, there are a bunch of dark brown "spikes" coming out. She's had this spot since we got her and I'm just now noticing the spiky protrusions. Are they just feathers coming in?

Sorry for the not-so-clear pic. I had a heck of a time trying to move the down and get the pic...

Hi all! New to chickens this year and great to see this thread of other newbies. We have chicks arriving this week from McMurray: Orpingtons, Polish, RIR, Delawares, Dominiques, Faverolles, and Andalusians. 25 chicks total. Our son is in 4H and doing a poultry project this year, but we're all excited though I seem to be the one in the family who has become the crazy chicken person. haha!

We have a 100 ft^2 coop that came with our house and is fantastic condition and was the nudge we needed to finally start this adventure. We built our brooder today and here's a pic. I am so excited for the chicks to arrive!

Hello! I am a newbie to chickens. I just bought 20 chicks at Monroe Co-op.

3 Cochin
3 Blue Wyandotte
3 Black Australorp
3 California Grey
4 Speckled Sussex
4 Buckeye

They are set up in two cardboard boxes I joined. One of the Australorps has a gimpy wing. All the rest are just fine. We are getting a new metal shed, 10 x 6 to turn into a coop. I have been reading here on BYC how to do it.

I love spending time reading about the different personalities and behaviors of these breeds and watching them.

Today I cut a chunk of sod for them and the absolutely loved it! I also gave them some bits of celery leaf that they enjoyed pecking instead of each other.

All these breeds are pretty friendly. The Cochin are like pets. My grandson named one of them Yoyo. We are collecting a list of names we like so when we are ready we can name them to match their personality.

[/IMG]

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom