Spring Chicks vs. Fall Chicks?

I added 4 chicks in early April and had planned on adding some more to flock next spring.
Fall chicks have still molted the next fall for me..

Spring chicks don;t usually molt their first fall/winter.. therefore still providing eggs that this years spring chicks are pretty well guaranteed not to at that time.

I prefer getting/hatching chicks in spring so that they can grow up over the summer. I have never really gotten chicks in the fall I feel like they would be too cold :\
I think it depends on your climate. Where I'm at, early September is usually good, but then, last October we had a freak early frost.... Then you have to feed the birds through the winter, before they start laying...

Fall chicks have still molted the next fall for me..

Spring chicks don;t usually molt their first fall/winter.. therefore still providing eggs that this years spring chicks are pretty well guaranteed not to at that time.
I got some chicks hatched in March for this very reason. However, I think some birds just take winters off. Not molting, but still decided to stop for the winter about a few weeks ago. Grr! But I am enjoying the eggs from the others in the flock.

I think it depends on your climate. Where I'm at, early September is usually good, but then, last October we had a freak early frost.... Then you have to feed the birds through the winter, before they start laying...
I got my first flock in September a few years ago and they started laying late winter/early spring and then layed almost without a break through their first full winter. I moved to a new property with more space and decided to add to my flock in the spring and not a single one of my spring chicks is laying. My one welsummer hen did for a couple months, then stopped, the welbar laid one egg and then just stopped. My other 3 welsummers and my Easter Eggers never even started. I wound up purchasing a whole flock of golden comets and RIRs that were already laying just to keep up with my egg orders, plus my welsummer/legbar breeding projects remain unfulfilled, and I'm feeding almost a dozen freeloaders, lol. Fall chicks for me next year!

Me too. And the kids are home to help with them!
IN my climate, june and july are problematic times--the baby chicks can't stand the heat so they'd have to be brooded in the house for a very long time---lots of dust! And the july Leghorns still didn't lay until new year's. I guess this just shows how climate specific chickens can be.

IN my climate, june and july are problematic times--the baby chicks can't stand the heat so they'd have to be brooded in the house for a very long time---lots of dust! And the july Leghorns still didn't lay until new year's. I guess this just shows how climate specific chickens can be.
Absolutely. In NY the weather is perfect at that time!

Back
Top Bottom