Spring coming yet?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by newbyduckmom, Nov 29, 2011.

1. newbyduckmom

newbyduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    I have to admit I have another reason for disliking winter now. I don't get to spend much time outside watching the silly antics of the ducks. Between work hours and darkness....I am missing my "duck fix". LOL!

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

You are not alone! I hate winter now!!! Before it didn't really matter.. Now it totally does. [​IMG] I need my chicken/duck therapy!

3. newbyduckmom

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    Definitely....long hours of darkness, cold, and limited ducks.....not a good mix. Now Spring.....ducklings, anyone?

4. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Yes [​IMG] . I hate winter [​IMG]

5. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I bring mine inside for a cuddle sometimes... [​IMG] Or I put on an extra layer of clothes and head out to the shed to suit with them a while over winter. Having a shed rather than a coop I have standing room- and light- so can stay out there as long as I can stand the cold. If I didnt do that- I would pretty much only see them on weekends except for when I feed and water them over the winter months.

6. grawg

grawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2011
    East Tennessee
    I think I can hold on another month before I'll start going stir-crazy again. Around the middle of January I'll start looking at online seed catalogs. I imagine looking at duck breeds won't help any this year. Fortunately, I was able to plant peas on Feb 20 this year and they did great. So I'm looking at that date and just counting the days come January...

7. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

Quote:Same here! [​IMG]

8. newbyduckmom

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    I went out a little early this morning...it isn't raining for the first time in ages....and let them go down to the pond and frolic. I froze, and it wasn't quite light yet, but I sat there with them and talked the whole time I was down there so the predators would know I was there and stay away....pretty desperate for a ducky fix! At least it wasn't raining!

Mine wouldn't cuddle if their lives depended on it - less so now that I am not spending much time outside with them. Although I tried to hold, pet, etc as they were growing, they just want nothing to do with humans. With exception of one that eats out of my hand, and then attacks me later. And if I tried to bring one inside fully grown (barring some sort of health issue) the spouse would have 'issues'. We had them inside in an aquarium until they got old enough and the duck house got built...we were ready for them to go outside!

9. trailchick

trailchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Yep, got those winter blues, and the weather has been great!
    Hate to tell ya'll it is not even winter yet..... [​IMG]

10. newbyduckmom

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    One of the benefits to early morning winter duck care.....Unfortunately, a little blurry and they never have quite the same color as the sky truly does~

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 30, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by