Spring coop cleaning - To bleach or not to bleach

We've never, ever, ever, ever bleached a single thing with regards to the chicken coop. We'd had the coop seven years now, have no disease problems, and rear about three batches of 25 chicks per year in that coop.

If it ain't broke, then don't fix it. I think chicken owner do more harm than good when they try do be hypochondriac around their chickens. Sheesh--they can't even be potty-trained--the surface would stay "sanitized" five minutes, if even that!

If you've not heard of EM (effective microorganisms), you might want to check it out. It uses beneficial bacteria and yeasts, rather than caustic chemicals, to keep things healthy.

Here is just one story of a large chicken farm in Japan (EM was invented in Japan in the 70's and is catching on in the USA) who switched from chemicals to EM, with improved results:

http://www.emro-asia.com/data/117.pdf

We just moved to a new home with a coop and did the dirty task of cleaning it out. Then we sprayed it down with a EM dilution and then did a deep litter method, spraying each layer with the EM dilution. Very curious to see the results of doing it is way.

I wish I could use the deep litter method but it is far to WET where I live. The litter soaks up the moisture from the air and it STINKS! I am liking the sand idea.

Like I responded earlier, white vinegar around the run is fine, and mix with a little soap to clean the inside. Easy. and good for everyone.

Back
Top Bottom