Spring is coming, help for new chicken owner?

Here's a few more ideas- if they don't roost too high up, they are easy to catch up at night. Docile, quiet. And it is a humane way to catch them up for dispatching to the table too, as they don't panic. I use electric poultry fencing around about an acre and for almost 2 years it has kept out the furry predators. Since it is wooded, the flying ones can't see my girls (and boys) well either. I tied the fence into my elect horse fence. I often broadcast the layer crumbles all over, rather than in feeders, just to give them some variety. And white millet and/or corn IS a great treat, and if you ever do coop them, easy to get them to "come in" in the evening for that treat.

Well, alrighty then! Managed to get to the feed store and picked up 15% Poultry Pellets and an 18" long feeder. Filled the feeder, but left the top off and put it where I usually feed my wild chickens. They all looked at me like, HEY, where's the good stuff? where's the scratch? Where's the bread? One hen walked up to the feeder and tentative pecked at it. It was just like Dr. Suess' Sam I Am. HEY, I LIKE this stuff! Peck peck peck... Several more hens watched, and then came up and pecked. OHHH WE LIKE THIS. I put the cover on and left them alone. Filled it again before I left. There was still a crowd around it.

:)))

Back
Top Bottom