Spring/Summer Meaties Almost Done

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by bigredfeather, Jun 23, 2011.

1. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    We are doing 800 CX this year, 400 Spring/Summer and 400 Fall. This Saturday we will be processing the last of the Spring/Summer batch. Last year we were processing 150 every 3 weeks, but this year (thanks to Brunty's advise) we switched to 50ish every Saturday. This has made things much easier on the wife and myself. We can now have 50 of them in the chill tank in less than 2 hours by ourselves. It has also made it more customer friendly, as those with no freezer space or those who like fresh chicken, have the opportunity to get it weekly. The bad part has been getting up at 5:30am the past 7 Saturdays so I can get the scalder fired up and ready to start by 6:30am, but that's all part of it I guess. Even this being the 3rd year we have raised and sold broilers, I still continue to learn things and refine the process. I am some what looking forward to not processing for a couple of months. It will give the opportunity to get some long overdue projects done, and GET CAUGHT UP ON SLEEP SATURDAY MORNINGS! I am also looking forward to putting some eggs in the incubator and doing some hatching. I had wanted to start earlier, but I was feeling overwhelmed with so many broilers on the farm. At one point, I had all 400 chicks to care for, and let me tell you, it was tough to take care of them and all the other animals in an evening.

After this weekend, I am going to add up all the dressed weights, the chick costs, total revenue, and the feed bills (ouch) and see how we did. Speaking of feed bills, last month we got our statement, and it was almost a $1,000. Needless to say, the DW grounded me from going there for a bit. LOL

Thought I would share.
    BRF

2. Jschaaff

Jschaaff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2011
    New Hampshire
    Oh my! Can't wait to hear how everything turns out, weights, feed etc..! I can't even wrap my brain around the logistics of taking care of 400...well, ANYTHING!!.

Especially 400 ----> [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

When it's over, make sure you really enjoy the couple month reprieve!! [​IMG]

-Jessa

3. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    I hope your customers appreciate your sacrifice. [​IMG] Too many peple do not realize the work that goes into raising their food.
    I wish we had access to an operation like yours, fresh home-grown chicken. Yum.

Enjoy you special saturdays with one less chore ! [​IMG]
    Maybe bbq some chicken for a treat.

4. bigredfeather

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    Quote:I am glad that increased the quantity I had at one time gradually over 3 years. I doubt things would have turned out well if I went from 25 to 400. LOL

5. bigredfeather

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    Quote:They absolutely do. I have been amazed at the thanks and appreciation I get from the customers on p/u day. One of the best things about what/how we are doing this is we get to pick our customers. Our customers all have one thing in common, they want chicken that they know has been raised naturally and in good living condition. I freely offer them the opportunity to go out to the pasture to see the birds, and welcome them to come observe/help with the processing. Nothing to hide here. I am not trying to sell broilers to every Tom, Dick, and Harry in the county. I only want customers that understand what we are doing and why we are doing it.

6. Bossroo

Bossroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    Free access may be good PR, however, Free access to customers just may not be too beneficial for bio security, which in turn just may put one out of buiness pronto. I would re evaluate this practice.

7. bigredfeather

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    Quote:What do you think the bio security risks are?

8. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    great job, your growth has been impressive [​IMG]

9. RoosterGeek

RoosterGeek Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2010
    Lebanon, TN
    Big Red, how did you get your start and how do you do your marketing?

I've always heard that word-of-mouth is the best advertising available.

And congrats on the success! [​IMG]

10. myhubbycallsmechickeemama

myhubbycallsmechickeemama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2011
    Arco, ID
    WOW...I felt like I was running my bum off with 20!!! I can't even imagine 400. Good for you and enjoy your reprieve! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by