Spring Time Breeding: Will My Goose Lay Eggs With Goslings?

Geese will generally not lay after they have gone broody and hatched goslings, the rare exception may be Chinese geese which will sometimes have a fall laying season, all other breeds are spring layers and will generally stop laying just prior to the summer solstice as they will begin to molt at that point. Your best bet, if you want more eggs and goslings, is to get an incubator capable of incubating goose eggs and gather the egg each day to keep her laying. Her rate of lay will depend on the breed but you can generally expect 30-40 eggs.
I have exhibition Toulouse and they are the best layers their first and second years and the males are better breeders the first and second years then they both tend to fall off after that.
I had one trio that I hatched 32 goslings out of their first year, best I have ever had.

Blessings,

Bo
Good to know. She is a Chinese goose. I’m hoping I’ll have a few that I can eat! Thanks for the help!

Wow I did not know that the Chinese could possibly lay a second clutch!! I've never raised those, very interesting! My African has about 10 eggs or more atm, I am so excited, it's been years since I've had geese, I also have 2 Toulouse but I am not sure if they're a pair lol, WISHING YOU THE BEST !!

Back
Top Bottom