"Springing in the Chicks" 2016 April Hatch-a-Long Hosted by Mike & Sally

@Sally Sunshine

10 day serama egg candle. We are down to 17 eggs with wiggly baby chicks inside. The 18th egg was clear. I marked air cells again. not much change, but I don't know what I should be seeing lol. So here are some pictures. If you could advise on humidity levels I would be so greatfull! Thank you!

I have an external pip in the middle of the egg. The beak is out and chirping. I think it is malpostioned because of where it pipped. Midline of egg. I know I should just leave it alone and wait for it to zip. The other two chicks that are hatched do go up and peck at it the hole. Is this normal? How long should I let it be? Til tomorrow morning?

Hi! I just moved 22 eggs to lockdown! 13 Salmon Favorelle and 9 of my own silkies. It's only day 18, but more than half already drew down, but others look like they have a ways to go. I'm leaving for the rest of the day, won't be home till tomorrow night, so thought it was better to move them a day early.

Happy Hatching everyone!

I have an external pip in the middle of the egg. The beak is out and chirping. I think it is malpostioned because of where it pipped. Midline of egg. I know I should just leave it alone and wait for it to zip. The other two chicks that are hatched do go up and peck at it the hole. Is this normal? How long should I let it be? Til tomorrow morning?
That's a tough one. I have had them pip upside down and get their beak out to breath. A drop or two of blood came out but they hatched and others I lost. If they get chirping really loud like they are scared I will jump in. If I see the membrane is not ready I make sure they can breath and put them back. If the membrane has lost blood flow I gently hatch it. I have saved a probably over a dozen this way but lost a few.
hit.gif

Especially when I was first learning. I didn't have a teacher and didn't know about this group.

Being in the middle though, I bet baby makes it out alright. Keep us posted, please.

This just happened to us, the exact same thing. I read, and re-read Sally's hatching 101 section on Malpositions. It has a lot of very valuable info. I also waited for what felt like forever. I would check on it to make sure i could either see the beak move or jear chirping. It did make it out on its own.

I lost that one today by waiting too long. It was chirping loud and I thought, good, it wants out and it shouldn't be long. Checked a couple hours later and no sound. When I put in a peek hole, after I candled it, I discovered it drowning. After I partially hatched it, it only made it about a half an hour in the incubator. I tried getting the fluid out of it but they are so small and easily hurt.

Makes you feel awful when you can't save a baby that is ready to hatch.

Back
Top Bottom