cattywampus
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Aug 23, 2012
PA

"Springing in the Chicks"
2016 April Hatch-a-Long

Hosted by Mike & Sally

Do you have Eggs in the Incbuator/s under Hens ANYTIME in April?

If so JOIN US!

LIST OF MEMBERS TO THIS HAL AND WHAT IS INCUBATING! CLICK HERE

Set whenever you wish as long as eggs are in the incubators or under hens any day in April! To join us simply post in the thread and say hello and what you plan on hatching!

We are certain you will find new friends, excellent incubation help,

laughter fun and a few Cool New Contests along the way!

If you have a question just post it on the thread, Everyone is helpful!

dEFxCqyBDuTydjH_8CJtbSzPVLr96jNH-wDyh7B9jdi2xx9px-YmvdB_fRe6v2V9-DQ83VUpZrPUvAV8hKWhcf6d3dB6DL9Y49FLnnPvtGSu-l3IIzOoezuw52WLvQUr9zM8gShu

NEW COOL CONTESTS!

CONGRATS TO ALL OUR WINNERS!!!! THANK YOU TO ALL MEMBERS who DONATED SUCH GREAT PRIZES!!
“Share a Laugh” Random Posting Thread CLICK HERE

“Share Helpful BYC TIPS” Random Post Thread CLICK HERE

Chick Mug Shots CLICK HERE

Selfies with Fowl CLICK HERE

Fowl drawing/painting Contest CLICK HERE

(Lower 48 for winnings only unless there GFMs or donations in your Country)
*If a minor wins, the prize will be awarded to the parent/legal guardian of the winner (and not the minor). The parent or legal guardian will need to have their own BYC account setup and message with their name and address. VOID where prohibited!

DONATIONS WILL BE NEEDED FOR CONTESTS!

No item too small! We can always have smaller items for 2nd /3rd places!

Hatching Egg Donations, Fowl items new/used in good shape, BYC GFM's, Amazon Gift Cert, BYC Certs, etc all great items to donate! What some of us do is purchase an item from Amazon and send it directly to the winner, just make sure they have plenty of the item in stock, example chicken rooster fowl mugs are always cool!

DAnlhysYhia_N5udz2Gk9XE0QxzMCc0Ibncp6o-rWOZatTBtWfPN6WQ5HsvzooROfAjYRW5klAqwIk-F0SatIELLOigQ-oyBJj2UDbmDS5BZioX-kF9ngQoZULrGlRyw5xGKrU5X

BYC Links for EGGS…

Great IDEAS to find eggs CHEAP! post #7755

Hatching Eggs Auction & Bin Thread Click HERE

Crazy 24 hour Auction Thread Click HERE

Hatching Eggs for Sale/Trade on BYC Click HERE

Local BYC Threads in the Where am I? Where are you Section! click HERE

"BE NICE OR LEAVE"

is our motto here

ALL BYC RULES APPLY

Last edited:
I went to bed early because I was exhausted and then woke up at 3am. This is all happening quickly, but #2 is OUT! #3 is pipped and # 1 is definitely internally pipped. No word from #4 yet.

Someone wants to say hello...

Last edited:
Lost a chick yesterday. So cold, so lifeless....all stiff and non-responsive. Just dead. She and another trouble maker escaped from their brooder pen from a small gap we didn't notice - but they did! While trying to catch one, we found the other behind the dust bath. So sad. Put the one we had to catch and I laid the lifeless one up on the shelf while Ken and I found the parts and fixed the gap. Then I had a trash bag in my hand and was starting to wrap her up when her mouth opened just a bit. I didn't know if it opened because I was kinda flopping her around while I opened the bag or if she was making one last gasp, but it was enough for me!

Brought her in and stuffed her in the incubator until we had a warm spot ready, just to try to revive her. It didn't look good, but by golly the battle was on and I had no intention of losing!

Totally lifeless in the incubator. Stayed that way, too.

Got a small basket and put her in it on top of a heating pad, then flipped the top of the heating pad over her.

0.jpg

I was pretty rough with her trying to get a response...she peeped! Ken was at the back of the house coming up to the front and I was so excited that she was finally responding I kept hollering.

0.jpg

Less than 2 hours from what you saw at the top, to her going back outside with the rest of the chicks. Checked her this morning and the only way I could tell her from the other 2 White Orpingtons out there was that her two little wing feathers were split from her adventure.

Never give up. Whether it's a chick or eggs that don't show signs of life, as long as a heart is beating there is hope!

Love it! Hippie engineering at its finest.
I LOVE Hippie Engineering. We have lots around the house! Have you seem my brooder?

Materials:
Old Base Cabinet
Old TV Cabinet
Hardware Cloth
Left over PVC
Chain and Eye Hooks
5 Gallon Paint Buckets, the ones you keep wishing you could take to the dump

This brooder is PERFECT for our family!
- It is side opening so our chicks are frightened.
- It is low to the ground so our kids can take care of the chicks as part of their chores. But, it can easily be put on saw horses to make it adult height.
- It is easy to clean and able to be used for lots of chicks and hatchings.
- The TV cabinet on the LEFT side is a clinic. There is space for sick chicks and all the medical supplies one needs. Extra lamps, droppers, gloves, purple stuff for wounds, electrolytes, marbles and more more more.
- The "clinic" and "cabinet brooder" are put together so chicks can see and interact with each other safely through hardware cloth. This makes it super easy to integrate different age chicks and get then To Know Each Other.
- The Light Bar is adjustable height and I can put TONS of lights on it. I have maxed as 3 heat lamps so far.
- Can be divided easily with cardboard or hardware cloth
- IT WAS CHEAP

Last edited:
What an exciting and completely magical day!!!!! I heard my first peeping after my first-graders went home for the day yesterday. But, it sounded like only one. I was hoping to see a couple hatched when I walked in this morning, and was really hoping when I saw several parents standing by the door waiting to peek into my classroom with me. NOTHING!!!! UGH! I did hear a faint peep. So I waited and crossed my fingers. Then I decided to do the unthinkable, I opened the bator to candle one. Well, when I picked it up, I realized that the chick had pipped on the bottom!!!!! Then I started peeking underneath, and four of the six were pipped on the bottom. I quickly flipped them over, threw in a nice warm, wet paper towel, and we watched closely. We watched all morning and just before lunch, one started to unzip. The kids had to go to lunch, and after all that waiting, (our first batch was completely infertile), they were going to miss it. NOOOO!!!!
Well, it didn't hatch, and the kids had inside recess (which is in my classroom.) I started to hear them screaming, it's coming, it's coming!!!!! They were surrounding the bator, so I could hardly even get a peek. The chick was clearly ready, so I grabbed it out and put it on a paper towel on the table. It hatched right before their eyes!!!! They literally screamed with excitement, and it was the most precious sight I have ever seen as a teacher!!! That first chick, is by far my favorite teaching moment of the year!!!!!! Picture cute little first-graders high fiving, giggling with excitement, jumping up and down, and even crying because they were so excited. It was absolute precious. A little later in the day we had a second hatch, and it was just as exciting! They went home tonight with huge smiles on their faces!!!! The other two are still pipped, but haven't zipped yet. And, there is one more that looks like it is internally pipped! So it was a very exciting day! You know it is so magical to watch chicks hatch, but there is nothing better than watching my students watch chicks hatch! So many have never ever seen that before! I was in tears myself, and it is truly the best moment of being a teacher.

Aconfederate, thank you so much for telling me your story! That brought me to tears all over again. My daughter was in my first-grade class almost 10 years ago. That was the first time I hatched baby chicks. She fell in love, and that summer we build a chicken coop, just the two of us. My husband wasn't even allowed to help. :) We have had chickens ever since, and last year she got best of show for one of our silkies. She wants to be a marine biologist when she grows up, so your message really touched me!!!!

The really special thing is that my daughter brings these chickens that we hatch at school to the fair each year, and my students always come to see how their chickens look grown up! It is the perfect ending to a super fun experience! What a magical day!

All you IPhone/IPad users, there is an app called HatchaBatch. You enter the date you place your eggs in the bator and it gives you reminders ans a daily progress of what the development you chickies making that day. I am on day 6, it says "heart, brain, and eyes are more prominent. Beak and voluntary movement begins." You can name your hatches and have several going at the same time. By the way it is FREE

@lindalouly You're current to this post.

Please tag the lovely Linda with updates and to make sure that you're on the list.
A work in progress.. this is what I have for the members of the HAL. I will need to fill in information as I get it.

@BantyChooks 10 OEGB x silkie eggs under a broody 3/29!

@Chaos18

@campingshaws 12 isbars, 4 bielefelder, 4 merlerault, 4 niederrhiner, 5 EE, 2 HRIR x ?, 1 BCM x?, 1 polish x ?, 1 cochin x ?, 1 ??? X ???

@jnr005 will be setting April 1 or 2nd.. EE, copper marans, olive eggers.

@Pensmaster

@Yorkshire coop Brisea 20. I'm pleased to say all 15 Tolbunt polish are moving and looking on track
yippiechickie.gif

One more week to wait
pop.gif

@Razadia Barnyard mutts

@chickygirl7 Looking for duck and polish eggs to hatch

@mumofsix

@Laurel Meadows Aliak J&TRanch... Hatch date planned for April1 Blue and splash Marans. plans to stagger hatch with cochin eggs in a week or so.

@howfunkyisurchicken

@tao chick Mad chicken labs?? building an incubator from a mini fridge which will start a set soon, hopefully. I have 15 Cream Brabanter due to hatch April 1st that are set in my MacGyverbator. I am considering building an incubator out of an electric grill and an old oven. I have to make a few changes to my barn before I can put all the egg incubating devices in my Mad Chicken Lab.
1 in lockdown due to hatch tomorrow
7 in bator due to lockdown the 6th, hatch 9th
11 in bator due to lockdown the 9th, hatch 12th
3 in bator due to lockdown the 12th, hatch 15th

I'm probably going to set 12 more this weekend.

@Jessimom

@mamahmendez Brinse 20 Looking for ancona duck eggs 12 eggs from neighbors farm
18 eggs from Farmers Market, sold as fertile
30 eggs set, Due 3/31 - 4/1 (I set late at night)

HATCH UPDATE:
I woke up to 11 peepers this morning and 2 on the way.
Of my 11:
1 has one eye shut, I will follow the advise previously given. I think it is just stick shut with gunk, I hope.
1 has not completely absorbed the yoke sack but it isn't really bad. They are drinking so that is good.
9 are happy and healthy like chicks

@Phage

@jwlpoultry I have an update but to lazy to work with numbers at the moment.....but I have goose eggs, chickens eggs,and duck eggs all due for an April hatch. Will let you know on numbers later.

@sarah25bear I will be setting on April 10th not sure what all I will be hatching. I am going to take the weekend of May 1st off hoping they hatch on my birthday!!!

@deserteggs22 Barnyard mixes

@FeatherCreek 2 Royal Palm Turkey eggs Due April 1

@Purpletie3 hatching a dozen ? in March?

@blkjak setting late in April

@mollybuck

@CLSranch Dark cornish due on April 2nd.

@dolfi

@MotorcycleChick

@Sueg4332 Set Hen turkey eggs. 5/6 5/5

@pjnbill22 6 cockoo bluebar, EE, Plymoth mutts. Three incubators holding 105 eggs.

@Susieq2015 March 28 and April 18 Saphires

@rossfam06
Okay so I have decided what I am going to set. I am going to set Wood Duck eggs, Silkies, SLP, and BLRW. I will be using a LG 9300 with a replaced thermostat by Incukit as my incubator, them I will be using the farm innovators for hatching if I need it. If I set my wood duck eggs a week before then I should be okay to hatch in the LG if not then I will need to transfer.
wink.png
super excited!!

@flocktastic

@Saris Just set 9 Bielefelders and 15 Ameraucana!

@Brittsplace 9 silkie eggs for son

@Nin315 Auction bought Black and blue copper marans. and white silkies from Elvis and Marylinn.

@jphendrix 18 eggs set, hatchdate April 3 Aiming for a staggered hatch due April 10

@Sally Sunshine color coded calendar with color coded eggs in the bator right Overachiever.. lol

@mlm Mike I'm setting 7 Icelandic Eggs.

@lindalouly Coolerator build to hatch quail eggs and mixed mutts in April.

@firedragon1982 Set 14 silkie eggs this morning, to go along with my Lav Cuckoo D'Anvers eggs and Golden Necked D'Uccle eggs. Now I just need a bantam coop....

@jewelsong i ordered some Orpington eggs and will also set some Jersey Giant eggs, some RIR's and some RIR/EE mixes... hopefully I will have them ready to set this weekend? that is my hope anyway.... can't wait for chicks!

@brightpennies 5 fertile chicken eggs under my banty (who has never been a mom before), 7 fertile chicken eggs in the 'bator, and 15 unknown duck eggs in the 'bator to boot. We'll see what we get. This is all for science since my only prior attempt to hatch with a broody Pekin went horribly awry. Potential due dates are April 4 and 11. I guess we'll see how it goes!

@shahtir101

@KeyFlock Hi all! I set 37 eggs yesterday, due to hatch on April 4th. They are a barnyard mix. Rhode Island Red rooster and Barred Rock X White Leghorn rooster. Hen wise I have: Black sex link, Red sex link, RIR, Barred Rock, White Leghorn, Brown Leghorn, Barred Rock crosses, and a Light Brahma. Looking forward to adorable chickies!
Feel free to correct me. LOL

@butterfliesdoku Bielefelders, Legbars and Easter Eggers! I have 15 Easter Eggers and 11 Silver Grey Dorking eggs due the 21st

@ChickenGrass Hope to be setting cream legbars in April.

@speney I will be setting eggs the first of April I'm just not sure what kind yet it depends on what I can get my hands on lol

@heatherledet We're set! Well the eggs are!
1f61c.png
Day 2! Due on the 4th! I have 4 old english bb reds and 5 phoenix crosses(mutts) locked down today!

@country lovin On the waiting list for some cream legbar eggs so I might be in! n 3/25- set 7 cream legbar, 7 sapphire, 5 Sally's projects, 7 lavender Orpington.

@hereorthere Just have a variety of BCMs, Welsummers, and Olive Egger's. Prolly more Olives - can't wait to see what hatches. Hit day 14 last night - air cells look good, but am already down to 13% weight loss on majority of my eggs. Upped the humidity a tad as I was worried I'd already sucked the life outta them and mummified them all before lock-down.
barnie.gif
But all 25 eggs are good. It's a barnyard mix as I've got 2 competing males - a Wellie roo and a mutt roo who's Wellie x BCM (is it the male x female in these equations?). Am leaving on an outing tomorrow and will be back to take the Brinsea off the turner and go into lockdown Sunday night.

@harrellkd I'll be putting more eggs in the first of April

@Honora Just did my Day 14 candle. 7/8 eggs are looking good, lots of veining & saw a few moving around. One was darker & a bit harder to see. The air cell seemed small on that one too. I will have to look at it more closely on Day 18.
So the remaining eggs are 6 black/lavender cuckoo Orpington sex links (males will be cuckoo, females solid black or lavender), and 2 chocolate cuckoo Orps. Really looking forward to chickies hatching next week!

@CoopDeDoo I am getting some eggs to put under my broody this weekend - should hatch April 8th(ish)

@firedragon1982 hopping into the HAL a little late. Just received 12 D'uccle and 6 D'Anvers eggs...

@LocalYokel QuailI let 5 of the quail eggs sit in 100 degree vinegar, checked with a thermo, for between 5 and 6 minutes.

I hope to be able to candle Coturnix Quail eggs more easily by removing the "paint" on the shell.

I only selected less than 12 grams eggs for this purpose, selected at random. I would like to see if this decreases Hatchability, or is neutral. 12 Leghorns and 6 RIR and quail is undetermined....

@Coreenelane My incubator made by grandson and class mate will be free to set more eggs around April 10th. Right now eggs are being incubated for a science project that both boys are working on. The second clutch is in a large dog crate in the class mates garage. The hen was given 6 eggs from other chickens and showed signs of broodiness before the science project started. The next day she laid an egg and pushed out 3 of the original eggs. Next day she laid another and is sitting on them. Hope to learn a lot and incubate more eggs. Grandkids showing chickens in 4-H and selling eggs. Hens are paying for the feed and I want to breed and sell chickens. Candled some Sultun eggs today and so far so good. Trying to separate silkis and Sultuns so I don't have any cross breading. I think my silkis are starting to lay but not sure. I am finding very light cream small eggs but I thought I read somewhere that they laid peewee size eggs.

@emvickrey I plan on putting my new bator to use this year.

@jrc85 firing up the incubator. I'm going to say 4 under her they are mallard pekn mix

@Mirajane Firing up the incubator to see what she can hatch

@chicken19 I have some chicks that I'm hatching right now. They are 12 americaunas, 12 production reds, and 2 caramel queens.

@DwayneNLiz I will be setting around 40 eggs I think, mostly barnyard mutts, and the guy at the Napa down the road is giving me 2 dozen bantam/Silkies. Going to use my neighbors incubator-she's had good luck with it. Probably set them on Saturday 3/26

@kybyxbee I am on day 6, it says "heart, brain, and eyes are more prominent.

@Penny Hen I am going to be setting sometime on the second week (the day depends on shipment arrival.) I'll be setting around 100 brown jumbo coturnix and a dozen Silver Penciled Wyandottes.

@Peachickie I'm sure I'll be setting more eggs in April. I'm hatching some silkies and olive eggers for my sister's birthday 4/16.

@philyaw539 26 eggs

@ChickenLady2014 I have 3 hatches currently scheduled to hatch in April

@Cynthia12 I'm setting some Bantam Cochin eggs tonight. Should hatch around the 12th...I think.

@draye Set 74 Naked Neck, some will hatch fully feathered, @ about 5:30 PM.

@chicken hawk 33 Mixed barnyard mixes with a delaware as a roo.

@melnjerm I'm not on there. I'll be setting at least 13 cream legbar eggs and 6 olive eggers (blue maran/legbar) eggs this weekend

@cree57i I set 17 Golden Cuckoo Marans this morning, (3/31), along with 3 isabelle leghorns and 3 Silverudds Blue in one incubator. I already have 24 assorted SB, SFH and isabelle leghorns in another incubator due to hatch in 7 days whenever that is.

Also a cuckoo marans has been sitting for 3 or 4 days on at least 12 eggs. I put SB, isabelle leghorn and blue copper marans under her, but no telling what else she has commandeered.
Today, an australorp decided she is broody. She has a BYM under her and as soon as I can catch her off the nest she will have some SFH's under there too. IDK how many eggs she has.
All said, I have a minimum of 60 eggs set at this moment, but knowing my broody hens it is a lot more than that!

@0wen Putting half dozen Svart Hona eggs in a Brinsea Mini Advanced (casual hatcher so only own a small capacity incubator) tomorrow (4/1) - setting at room temp currently trying/hoping to mend air cells and such courtesy of the USPS.

@generaldsherman NN, runner duck eggs, lone turkey egg (only 1 out of 3 that didn't quit), CCL and a mixed dozen of a few different breeds (hopefully, if the seller meets me tomorrow with my CCL and other eggs)

@kimalulu I have bielefelder, barred rock, English Orpington, Swedish flower hen, Easter eggers and some mixes set to hatch 4/17 and 4/20.

@arconfederate I set 10 Icelandic eggs yesterday (3/31/16)

@sasafras4u2 I got some local mixed eggs. The people don't know what there chickens are "umm red hen and a black rooster". I set them on March 23rd. Due to hatch April 13.candles last night 10/10 moving in every egg. I'm so eggcited. Then I have ordered some eggs to arrive the week of April 25th. I hope to have chick's over running the coop.

@Feather duster I set 30 Australorp eggs on March 24th. Opened up the incubator for the first time this morning to candle the eggs and trace the air cells. So far out of 30 eggs I had two that were infertile and two that had died. Twenty-six still in the game.

Back
Top Bottom