"Springing in the Chicks" 2016 April Hatch-a-Long Hosted by Mike & Sally

Hi I'm on day 20 of my third attempt at hatching. temp has stayed at 99.5 +or- .2 humidity up til day 18 was at 40 and raised to 60-70% at 18. Haven't heard anything yet and decided I needed a little something to keep me breathing and not touching the bator. Tell me something should come out alive soon. Please?
Did you candle the eggs along the way, what did you see?

Hi I'm on day 20 of my third attempt at hatching. temp has stayed at 99.5 +or- .2 humidity up til day 18 was at 40 and raised to 60-70% at 18.  Haven't heard anything yet and decided I needed a little something to keep me breathing and not touching the bator.  Tell me something should come out alive soon. Please?

Still time for them yet. 21 days is just a guide, they will start when they are ready. They don't worry about the stress they cause us!! I've just been the same thinking nothing was happening but they have come to life now. With them not peeping all the time you may just not have been listening at the right time.

Try not to worry and I know that's easier said than done.

On day 18 18 eggs looked real good and 2 were iffy but so did the last batch. but this is definitely a stressful experience.
I used to run at the temps you ran at and mine hatched day 21 to 22. I TRIED to up the temps to 100 - 101. My LG bator likes to go crazy, so I turn it up a bit and back down, so it spends time some time at the old temps 98.5 - 100, and most time at 100 - 100.5, and a LITTLE bit of time at 101 - 102. This latest hatch is at - 1 on day 19, 3 on day 20, 5 on day 21, and so far 3 on day 22 (today) and I hope more are still hatching.... I have 9 eggs still brewing.

Here is my brooder. It is 4' x 32" and we made it out of scrap wood and hardware cloth and threw on a pneumatic screen door hinge for the heavy lid. The bottom is lined with vinyl and covered in pine shavings. We just used an old lamp arm to suspend the heat lamp over one side of the lid and they chicks seem okay with that so far. There are only four chicks in there now, and I will add a divider for whatever hatchlings we end up with (fingers crossed). The Farm Innovations incubator is the one I have on order, I hope it gets here soon!

Nice! I like it! Mine is massive and such a waste of plywood. Good thought & design....

Finally I have a couple of pips!! Was starting to worry as I've heard peeping for 24 hours but not seen a pip
hmm.png
There maybe more on the underside where I can't see but right now I'm happy with the two I can see
yesss.gif

Yay!! I'm on pins & needles too! Every time I walk by, I can not help myself to stop to check for any pips. Heard chirping for a brief moment last night......

@Sally Sunshine Just finished my first April hatch. Had 8 Silkies go into lockdown, 6 hatched, 2 DIS. Both were full term, 1 even had the yoke absorbed, but never internally pipped. The other was malpositioned with a small yolk sak left ~ no internal pip
1f615.png

Back
Top Bottom