"Springing in the Chicks" 2016 April Hatch-a-Long Hosted by Mike & Sally

So had 2 hatch out around midnight last night, so after my birthday was over
sad.png
have 2 zipping this morning, and several more pipped.
woot.gif

So the ducks are in the big coop and run with the 10 week old chickens. And they seem to all be getting along great. The ducks are in the run today it's raining. And there playing in puddles. And the chickens are looking at them like what's wrong with you guys. That water is for drinking not playing in. It's the cutest thing. But anyway good mourning all. Oh and I put the Orust in the big outside brooder finally and they seem to love it.

Quote:
lau.gif

There is a pip in one of the Serama eggs!!!!!!!! Day 19.
1f600.png

wee.gif

I wasn't going to set for this one, but I now have 4 eggs between 2 Broodies, so I'm in.
yesss.gif
frow.gif

I have an UPDATE @Sally Sunshine
Set 5 more eggs in the bator Yesterday 4/11 to hatch on my Birthday!

The other eggs will get candled Tomorrow night or Thursday Morning!

Happy Hatching!

you are going to make me figure out your bday on three hours of sleep, your so cruel
whats 11 plus 21?
lau.gif

So May 2nd?

My first ever pip? Should I start playing sounds of chicks peeping?

and a good looking pip too!!

The little one above this is a hona/isbar cross. He presents all hona but is not!

So, this is some of the pics of the cross chicks that I hatched this weekend. I sold over 30+ of them and these guys are still left. It was my first offering of my chicks to the public this way. Lots of wonderful families came out to pick out their new members.

I did learn a lot from this experience. I was setting my due date on Friday so I would have Sunday to offer them for sale. It wasn't enough time and I jeopardized my hatch by opening the bator. In turn, I had stuck chicks that was all my doing. Also, I need more floor space for them to run around after hatch as it was clearly too crowded in the bator.

I set 127 eggs. Pulled the clears at day 10. I had 113 go to lockdown & only 14 eggs left un- hatched/unfinished.

Incubator is full again- I have way too much room in there! If anyone is in CNY and would like to buy any of these chicks above $5 each!

Happy hatching all!
awwwww pretty chicks!!

So had 2 hatch out around midnight last night, so after my birthday was over
sad.png
have 2 zipping this morning, and several more pipped.
awesome BDAY!!!! what in the world!! I missed it!!

belated-birthday-1.gif

im-not-late-im-just-really-early-happy-belated-birthday.gif

better-late-than-never-right-glitter-happy-b-day-glitter.gif

I'm joining.
celebrate.gif

I've got some bantam eggs under a broody hen and some in the incubator (in case something should happen to those under the hen). Her name is Ruby and she is one of my mix breed "Dalmatians". The eggs should be from a mix of all my other bantams, so hopefully I'll actually get some spotted chicks out of this round (last time I got this crazy mix of black, barred and partridge chicks).

I'm hoping this hatch goes better then my last, where I got... one chick. He's doing well though. Eve, my broody Sebright x OEGB hen adopted him. His name is X because of the "X" that was on his egg. Dash, his sibling, was also an assist but he didn't survive. I'm finding it hard to get more then four chicks to survive under a broody hen, always for different reasons, usually not the hen's fault. Predators, other hens, eggs going cold, poor fertility, weak chicks, dirty eggs, a broody breaking up, it just seems like no matter how many or how few I give them, they always end up with four or less.

Thanks guys for letting me join.
smile.png

Here's a picture of X when he was assisted out of his shell. I was worried he, like some of his siblings, would be upside down in his shell and drown. Thankfully, he was okay and a strong little guy, ready to come out and get under a momma hen.

So now we have 4 out, 6 pipped...

One of the silkies I noticed has a HUGE vaulted head... The others are not like that/not that large. Our first vaulted skull chicken!!

I am going to go camp by the incubator and watch some more!

Last edited:
:frow good morning everyone!
I finally got a group pic of my April Fool's Day Marans and the power outage babies hatched 4/5.

And a couple more just because they're cute
1f609.png

I'm happy to update a happy outcome for the blue chick on the right that was an assist. This chick endured a very long hatch being a wrong end pip, and got stuck zipping during a power outage in an 84 degree bator. It took a couple days to perk up but it's really active and doing great now
1f600.png

And being the hatching addict I am, I'm planning on setting more eggs next week!
:weee

Started incubating 20 eggs on March 17th hatched the first on the 7th the second the 8th and third the 9th. The third had the zip three quarters of the way around and somehow had flipped around to the other end. I believe number two gave it a really hard kick with its sharp toes. Anyway had to remove it quickly and do a "c-section" I clipped the membrane near its mouth only to find a second membrane. Worried all day at work if it made it out of the shell and membrane. It did but it was a pitiful looking chick. and it died thirty minutes after I got home. Made sure humidity was still up in case the others were still able to hatch. I took the eggs out this morning.
Only three weren't full size chicks. I had 14 full size chicks in shell. Three had pips in the outer shell and all had internal pips and non were shrink-wrapped. The pips had been knocked to the bottom. They just never hatched.
This was my third attempt at hatching. And first actually getting a living chick.
But oh how it hurts losing the 15 that died. Sorry crying over dead babies.

Sorry for your loss on those... that is rough to have that many that far. Are you sure they weren't going to hatch? Were they dead then you opened them or still moving? What were your humidity levels?

Sorry for your loss on those... that is rough to have that many that far. Are you sure they weren't going to hatch? Were they dead then you opened them or still moving? What were your humidity levels?
They were dead. they had stopped cheeping and moving . The level was at 80% today was day 26 and starting to smell.

Back
Top Bottom