Sprouted lentils for chicks?

Cklass90

Chirping
Mar 16, 2018
Ok so I know these are good for chickens but what about chicks? Mine are 2 weeks old and seem bored already. It's too cold for them to go outside so I thought about hiding some sprouted lentils in their wood shavings for them to find. Anyone know how soon chicks can have treats like that?

Hi, welcome to BYC! :frow

Not if they don't have any grit or access to small rocks type stuff

I like to bring in a plug of dirt with grass and roots attached. It provides great entertainment, a little grit, and some immunity to the microbes in your soil before going out full time. :)

We also add colorful paintings (or marker pictures) with polka dots to the walls of the brooder or even paper towel or toilet paper rolls with dots to encourage/satisfy pecking behavior. My chicks wake up and go to work hammering all day. :p

I do love sprouting! And the chooks do seem to love both sprouts and fodder. Best wishes. :pop

Do
Hi, welcome to BYC! :frow

Not if they don't have any grit or access to small rocks type stuff

I like to bring in a plug of dirt with grass and roots attached. It provides great entertainment, a little grit, and some immunity to the microbes in your soil before going out full time. :)

We also add colorful paintings (or marker pictures) with polka dots to the walls of the brooder or even paper towel or toilet paper rolls with dots to encourage/satisfy pecking behavior. My chicks wake up and go to work hammering all day. :p

I do love sprouting! And the chooks do seem to love both sprouts and fodder. Best wishes. :pop
What if they have chick grit? Can they have the lentils then?

Back
Top Bottom