Sprouting grain mixes

NestingMillenial

Songster
Oct 24, 2022
Waco, TX
I am gearing up to pick up my little backyard flock this weekend and was looking into feed options -> I plan on feeding them fermented pellets/crumble and they also will have access to the whole backyard all day, including the compost pile with fresh scraps.

I was considering sprouting some grains for them, since our backyard is more a dry weedy thing than a lush green prairie. I looked up a couple threads on here but still have a couple questions:

First, I know cracked corn won't sprout but is it going to go bad if kept wet among the sprouting seeds for a couple days to a week?

The other question is whether feeding always the same sprouted grains defeats the purpose or if that's ok to not have much variety (ex. if I buy a large seed bag, and use that for the upcoming year)

Two mixes I had in mind right now: https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/plotspike-forage-feast or https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/value-mix-wild-bird-food-35-lb

Tbh, I am not really sure if that will matter much for the flock's health, and maybe I'm just overthinking it... just trying to figure things out! :)

Last edited:
Both of those should work fine. It pretty much comes down to price and germination rate. I don't know if one is better than the others because of nutritional differences. If TSC sells hard red wheat or oats by the pound you can also use that. I like alfalfa but you have to compete with the health food market for alfalfa seed so the price is going to be higher.

I sprout unhulled barley seed. 1 cup dry seed sprouted over 7 days gives great yield for my 10 ladies. They flip it and go for the seed mat first. I give it every 2-3 days as a treat.

Attachments

• 98EB8DD0-2AAD-4754-AFA5-14C39AE169DE.jpeg
    98EB8DD0-2AAD-4754-AFA5-14C39AE169DE.jpeg
    416.3 KB · Views: 41
  • BFCB7AEC-835A-4EF8-82CE-3AED785877DA.jpeg
    BFCB7AEC-835A-4EF8-82CE-3AED785877DA.jpeg
    468.7 KB · Views: 39
I sprout unhulled barley seed. 1 cup dry seed sprouted over 7 days gives great yield for my 10 ladies. They flip it and go for the seed mat first. I give it every 2-3 days as a treat.
Hi - your setup looks great! Do you keep in your kitchen year round? Do you have issues with drainage or do you just know the right amount of water?

Back
Top Bottom