Sprouting Mix and other grains/beans?

If you are sprouting beans, aren't they eating raw dried beans? The following information came from the "Treats" list here on BYC, I refer to thiis list a lot: https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2593-Treats_Chart

Treat Type General Opinions
Beans Well-cooked only, never dry Also, greenbeans.

Don’t feed the following things to your chickens:
Here’s why:
Dried or undercooked Beans Raw, or dry beans, contain a poison called hemaglutin which is toxic to birds.

Quote:
Do you use the jar method for sprouting your BOSS and wheat blend?

I've been doing wheat, alfalfa and mung bean but would like to do BOSS as well.
Just wondering:)

Easy sprouting method for small amounts of seeds: Use a pint or quart (preferably wide mouth) canning jar with ring only. Put a couple of layers of cheesecloth under the ring and just let the excess hang down. Put about one to two generous tablespoons of seed in the bottom of the jar and cover with warm water (not hot) and let stand over night. Pour out the water the following morning and rinse with lukewarm water one time, drain thoroughly through the cheesecloth and leave in the windowsill. rinse twice daily until sprouts are desired size. I just leave the cheesecloth in place and only open the top to put in the seeds and take out the sprouts. Couldn't be simpler! I did this for salads for a long time using broccoli, cress, and alfalfa seed.

Does anyone buy sprouting seeds in bulk and do they have a favorite place with good prices? I'm looking at wheat, barley, chia...something like that. The prices on 50lb bags or 35 lb pails seem to be better.

Do a search on Sprout People. I got all my info there. Really informative and directions for each type of sprout, even recipes. I spent a small fortune there.

This is wonderful information!
The girls need greens when it's winter here. The closest thing I have is to hang up a half head of cabbage for them. This sounds great and nutritious, too. I have lentils in the cupboard I'll start right now.

Thank you so much for the info. BYC is the best!

Lynn M

I use Sandhill Preservation Society's mix; it's mixed especially for chickens, and they have a spring mix and a fall mix. I use a black plastic tub that I got from Home Depot for about $5 - it's used to mix cement in, I believe. I put topsoil in it (a few inches), and thickly sprinkle seeds over the top. Just set it in a sunny window, and they'll sprout in no time. Before they reach the top edge of the container, I put hardware cloth over the top and bend it around the edges; then, when it grows several inches past the hardware cloth, I take the entire pan into the run or coop. They can't eat the base of the plants, so they are undamaged and will keep growing.

Back
Top Bottom