Spur Problem?

DogAndCat36

Crowing
Mar 12, 2020
Northern Maine
I have a golden laced sebright named Wren and a silver duckwing named Falcon and they are like oil and water when together, they do not mix. So, all of last year, when it was their first year, Wren would always bully Falcon. Falcon by the looks of it is also a bit special if you know what I mean. After a whole winter Falcon seemed to have gotten more fierce and easily frustrated, most likely because of the hens and egg season (the birds and the bees😏). Now Falcon bullys Wren, but unlike Wren, he draws blood. I was petting Falcon today and he was all happy and purring when I looked at his legs, they had spurs about half an inch or less. Will he kill Wren if these grow bigger? Also will he become aggressive to me? All that I know about spurs is that they are on roosters and sometimes of hens. How do I remove them if I can without hurting him? I also can't go to a vet to remove them.

Also I hope that I put this on the right thread
Ps- I don't want my little baby boy to become hostile or hate me.
Thanks

The best cure is prevention. Remove one rooster to eliminate the quarrels between them. Eat him, sell him, or just separate.

If this is not an option you wish to pursue, the spurs, which will continue to grow during the roosters life, can be removed but it is best done by a professional vet. There are many things that can go wrong and you may end up with a lame, infected, or dead bird.

The best cure is prevention. Remove one rooster to eliminate the quarrels between them. Eat him, sell him, or just separate.

If this is not an option you wish to pursue, the spurs, which will continue to grow during the roosters life, can be removed but it is best done by a professional vet. There are many things that can go wrong and you may end up with a lame, infected, or dead bird.
Do you think that I can wrap it in fluffy cotton?

That won't work.
You can file the spurs to dull the tips.
Filing will require repeated efforts. Be vigilant and keep them rounded. However, even rounded tips can be damaging.

Also i would assume that there is live tissue allowing the spur to grow. Filing enough to be effective could result in pain for the rooster like accidentally cutting the quick while trimming a dog's nail?

Filing will require repeated efforts. Be vigilant and keep them rounded. However, even rounded tips can be damaging.

Also i would assume that there is live tissue allowing the spur to grow. Filing enough to be effective could result in pain for the rooster like accidentally cutting the quick while trimming a dog's nail?
I have time. And Maybe it is like a deer's antlers?

Spurs are very tough. You need a really heavy duty file. You just round the tip.
This is what others do.

Back
Top Bottom