Spur removal

Driley62

Songster
Jun 8, 2021
Chazy, NY
Hello all,

I'm thinking of either clipping or removing(all together) my roos spurs. My question is will he become aggressive if I remove them?

How often do I have to trim if I just trim?

Do you become aggressive after you trim your toenails? Gosh, I sure hope not. Seriously, trimming a rooster's spurs is no different from trimming your toenails.

Just as human toe nails grow at an individual rate, so do rooster spurs. Some faster, some slower.

Do you become aggressive after you trim your toenails? Gosh, I sure hope not. Seriously, trimming a rooster's spurs is no different from trimming your toenails.

Just as human toe nails grow at an individual rate, so do rooster spurs. Some faster, some slower.
I'm talking aggression from full blown removal, not trimming.

I am wondering if the handling and process of doing so would really piss him off.

I just know mine doesn't like to be handled. So far, he has only pecked/bitten my shoe to express displeasure before walking away. His aversion to handling is the main reason I have not pursued NPIP.

Only the outer sheath of the spur is removed. The spur itself is not amputated. It requires a minimal amount of twisting at the base, and the spur sheath lifts off of the fleshy inner spur. A new cutaneous outer sheath begins to grow back within days.

Some roosters register no pain and discomfort. Others, minimal discomfort for a day or two, and rarely, a bit of bleeding that may take a while to clot.

Dubbing of the comb on roosters is a popular practice with show breeds and roosters with tall combs to prevent frostbite in cold regions. The pain associated with that is far more than spur removal and the bleeding is far greater, as well.

Only the outer sheath of the spur is removed. The spur itself is not amputated. It requires a minimal amount of twisting at the base, and the spur sheath lifts off of the fleshy inner spur. A new cutaneous outer sheath begins to grow back within days.

Some roosters register no pain and discomfort. Others, minimal discomfort for a day or two, and rarely, a bit of bleeding that may take a while to clot.

Dubbing of the comb on roosters is a popular practice with show breeds and roosters with tall combs to prevent frostbite in cold regions. The pain associated with that is far more than spur removal and the bleeding is far greater, as well.
Oh, okay. Yeah, that's what we do with some males. I thought you meant actual amputating

I am wondering if the handling and process of doing so would really piss him off.

I just know mine doesn't like to be handled. So far, he has only pecked/bitten my shoe to express displeasure before walking away. His aversion to handling is the main reason I have not pursued NPIP.
That's what I'm wondering is the handling and the removal. I'd imagine just like losing the whole fingernail it causes some degree of pain.

Back
Top Bottom