Spurs already?!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Chookin gooood, Sep 28, 2013.

1. Chookin gooood

Chookin gooood Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2013
    UK
    I have 7, 5 week old (British) araucana chicks. I notices today that 2 already have a long spur-like toe on the back. I managed to get a picture or two, as it was quite confrontational!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i dont know if you can see or not....As it is my first propper batch of chicks, when they are meant to grow spurs and how unnormal it is and if it is actually a spur!
    Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 28, 2013
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Somewhat difficult to tell from the pictures, but it appears as if the chick has an extra back toe - five toes are common to certain breeds. Is it possible that your chick might be a crossbred?

3. Chookin gooood

Jan 4, 2013
    UK
    Ok. No, it came out of a blue egg. Its father only has a spur bump, no spur as such.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    I enlarged the picture, and it is indeed an 'extra' toe - not a spur. Perhaps a genetic mutation, but it is a bird that I would not use for breeding unless I wanted to perpetuate this trait.

5. Tricoglossus

Tricoglossus Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2012
    Perth, Western Australia
    Agreed. Araucanas should have 4 toes, not 5. Do you have photos of the parents?

6. Chookin gooood

Jan 4, 2013
    UK
    oh well, im rather glad it was the ones without ear muffs, so i wasnt as interested with perfection! I can get photos of parents. Thanks!

Last edited: Sep 28, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by