spurs on hen

pokey

Warrior Princess
11 Years
Jun 1, 2008
upstate
okay, i am hoping someone out there can tell me why my polish hen has spurs?not big, but spurs.and i am sure its a hen, or i need to call the news cause then i'd have a roo that lays eggs!!!
hu.gif
she is full white crested black polish.

oh now I want to go wake up my girls and see if they have spurs.
I'll let you know tomorrow but I think some hens depending on breed can have spurs

Sometimes when there is no rooster a hen will take on that role, even physically growing spurs.

I have a RIR hen that grew up with nothing but hens and she has spurs.

I've seen game hens with long sharp spurs. I've also noted that when they got broody... sometimes there would be cracked eggs.

Edited to say: We usually cut long spurs off of the game hens.

Last edited:
It's normal and genetic. Nothing to do with presence or absence of roosters.

Most spurs on hens are smaller although hens with full sized spurs are not that uncommon- I had an spangled Hamburg with full sized(as in same size as a rooster's) spurs a long time ago.. did not affect her egg laying or broodiness although she did break some eggs.

My current Kraienkoppes seem to have a very high tendency for spurred hens, every one I raised grew spurs.. Also like the other person, I reduce them so they don't break the eggs.

Quote:
There are several members here that have had hens as much as 3 years old suddenly grow spurs after their rooster died, and though I don't have any links handy research has been done on the subject. Hens who make this trans-gender switch have also been known to start crowing, while still laying eggs everyday.

There is no doubt that there are cases where genetics are the only factor to influence spur growth in hens, but genetics are not the only factor in every case.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom